What is the acceleration of an object with two given forces acting on it?

In summary, the magnitude of acceleration of the object is 36.6 m/s^2, with a direction of 68.7 degrees above the +x axis. This is found using the equations F=ma and trigonometric functions to break down the forces into their x and y components and calculating the acceleration using Newton's second law.
mslena79

Homework Statement

Only two forces act on an object (mass=3.00kg). F1=60.0N 45.0deg above the +x axis, F2=40.0N on the +x axis. Find the magnitude and direction (relative to the x axis) of the acceleration of the object.

Homework Equations

F=ma,

The Attempt at a Solution

(60.0N)(sin(45))=Fy, Fy=42.4N
(60.0N)(cos(45))=Fx, Fx=42.4N
ay=((60.0N)+(42.4N))/3.00kg
ay=34.13 m/s^2
ax=40.0N/3.00kg
ax=13.3 m/s^2
a=36.6 m/s^2
68.7 deg above +x axis

I can't figure out where I am going wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
ax=40.0N/3.00kg
ax=13.3 m/s^2
I think here.

ax is wrong?

nevermind I got it.

1. What are Newton's three laws of motion?

Newton's three laws of motion are:
1. An object at rest will remain at rest, and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity, unless acted upon by an external force (first law of motion).
2. The force exerted on an object is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by its acceleration (second law of motion).
3. For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction (third law of motion).

2. How do these laws apply to real-world situations?

These laws can be applied to real-world situations in many ways. For example:
- The first law explains why objects stay in motion or at rest unless acted upon by a force.
- The second law helps explain how much force is needed to accelerate an object.
- The third law helps explain how forces interact with each other in different scenarios, such as a person pushing a shopping cart or a rocket launching into space.

3. What is the difference between mass and weight in relation to these laws?

Mass is the amount of matter in an object, while weight is the force of gravity acting on an object. These laws primarily deal with mass and how it affects an object's motion, rather than weight. However, weight can play a role in certain situations, such as when calculating the force needed to lift an object against gravity.

4. Can these laws be broken or changed?

No, these laws are fundamental principles of physics and have been repeatedly demonstrated through experiments and observations. They cannot be broken or changed, but they can be applied in different ways depending on the scenario.

5. How can I use these laws to solve problems?

To solve problems involving these laws, you first need to identify the forces at play and their directions. Then, you can use the equations derived from these laws (such as F=ma for the second law) to calculate the unknown quantities. It can also be helpful to draw free-body diagrams to visually represent the forces on an object and aid in problem solving.