How to Find Force F on a Boat with Given Forces and Motion?

In summary, a 325-kg boat is sailing at a speed of 2.00 m/s, 15.0° north of east. Thirty seconds later, it is sailing at a speed of 4.00 m/s, 35.0° north of east. Three forces acting on the boat are a 31.0N force directed 15.0° north of east, a 23.0N force directed 15.0° south of west, and an unknown force F. Using the change in velocity, the acceleration and resultant force are calculated to be 0.04m/s^2 and 20.8N, respectively. The force F is found to be 18.4N
PandaBoy
A 325-kg boat is sailing 15.0° north of east at a speed of 2.00 m/s. Thirty seconds later, it is
sailing 35.0° north of east at a speed of 4.00 m/s. During this time, three forces act on the boat:
a 31.0N force directed 15.0° north of east, a 23.0N force directed 15.0° south of west and F
Find the force F
Answer : [18.4N, 68.0° north of east]

Fr = F1 + F2 + F3 (due to 3 forces acting on it)

F3 = Fr - F1 - F2 (as question wanted to look for the 3rd force)

F1 = 31cos15° = 30.0N (to the right)

F2 = -(23cos15) = -22.2N (to the right. Or +ve to the left)

a = (v - u)/t

Do I need to search for the vertical, y and the horizontal, x component of the velocity to turn it into resultant Force? Through square root of (Fy^2 +Fx^2)? I do not understand the first 2 sentences of the question. So in the end they will turn into the resultant force acted on the boat? I am confused.

It is a relatively new topic in mechanics to me. I am sorry I could not even make a single line of solution.. >< i have no idea where to start calculating actually. Though I did forces of equilibrium before, this doesn't seems like anything from it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
PandaBoy said:
Im not sure what to do with the velocity provided. Force doesn't involve velocity hmm..
But what about the change in velocity? What might that have to do with force?

Oh so I would use the change in velocity to find the acceleration and thus make it into my resultant force? Hmm which means :

Uy = 2sin15° = 0.52m/s Vy = 4sin35° = 2.29m/s
Ux = 2cos15° = 1.93m.s Vx = 4cos35° = 3.28m/s

In which I have t=35s

Which means my a for x and y-component would be :

x : a = (3.28-1.93m/s)/35 = 0.04m/s^2
y : a = (2.29-0.52m/s)/35 = 0.05m/s^2

and from there I find my Fr which is

x : Fr = 13.0N
y : Fr = 16.3N

Then Fr = 20.8N?

Edit : Just tried solving it, I din get the amount as given by the answer. I am not sure where have I gone wrong.

PandaBoy said:
In which I have t=35s
Recheck this value for time.

Hey I got my answer! Thanks for the help Doc! I understood some part wrongly but I fixed my understanding now.
I think I should have no problem with the other questions now. Appreciate your real direct-to-the-point replies. Have a good day sir!

1. What are the three laws of motion that apply on a boat?

The three laws of motion that apply on a boat are:
1. The law of inertia: An object at rest will remain at rest, and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity, unless acted upon by an external force.
2. The law of acceleration: The acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object, and inversely proportional to its mass.
3. The law of action and reaction: For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

2. How do these laws of motion affect the movement of a boat?

The laws of motion play a crucial role in determining the movement of a boat. The first law explains why a boat will continue to move forward even after the engine is turned off, due to its inertia. The second law helps in understanding how a boat accelerates and decelerates in response to the net force acting on it, such as the force of the wind or the water current. The third law explains how the boat pushes against the water and the water pushes back, allowing the boat to move forward.

3. How does the mass of a boat affect its motion?

The mass of a boat directly affects its motion, as stated in the second law of motion. A heavier boat will require a greater force to accelerate, but once it is in motion, it will have more inertia and will be harder to slow down. On the other hand, a lighter boat will require less force to accelerate, but it will also have less inertia and will be easier to slow down.

4. Are there any other factors besides the laws of motion that affect the movement of a boat?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the movement of a boat, such as the shape and design of the boat, the force and direction of wind and water currents, and the presence of any obstacles in the water. The weight distribution of the boat and the skill of the person operating it also play a role in its movement.

5. How can understanding the laws of motion help in operating a boat?

Understanding the laws of motion can help in operating a boat safely and efficiently. By understanding how the boat responds to external forces, such as wind and water currents, the operator can make adjustments to ensure smooth and controlled movement. It can also help in predicting the movement of the boat and avoiding potential collisions or accidents.