Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Laws of physics and blackhole

1. Apr 13, 2008 #1
    are all laws of physics break only at singularity Or laws of physics break even after event horizon?what is the difference
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2008 #2

Science Advisor

The singularity is the point (and it is important to understand that it is a mathematical point -- it has no dimensions) at which density becomes infinite. Clearly, shoving anything into zero volume will produce an infinite density. This is where modern physics begin to have a problem.

The event horizon, on the other hand, is a fictitious radius around the black hole at which not even light would be able to escape in any fashion. This represents a "point of no return" because, as nothing can travel faster than light, nothing can escape the fate of falling into the black hole beyond this radius.
  4. Apr 14, 2008 #3
    Is quantum mechanics valid beyond event horizon?
  5. Apr 14, 2008 #4

Science Advisor

Yes, so is general relativity.
  6. Apr 16, 2008 #5
    In respect of Kerr black holes, I'm assuming the frame-dragging effect would also carry on beyond the event horizon towards the singularity. I would normally assume this was the case though I've seen some images of light paths that show the light/frames entering the black hole perpendicular to the event horizon regardless of the extremity of the frame-dragging.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?