Proving Set Algebra Laws with Venn Diagrams

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of set algebra to prove a set of equations involving the sets X, Y, and Z. The laws of set algebra are mentioned and some examples are shown. The conversation also touches on the use of Venn diagrams to justify the equations. The question of whether the function f: R -> A defined by x^2=y^2 is injective is also mentioned.
sara_87
Question:

Use the laws of set algebra to show that for the sets X,Y,Z:
a) X + X’Y + ZX’ = X + Y + Z
b) XY + X’Y’ + X’Y + XY’ = U
c) Z’(X + Y’)(X’ +Z) = (X + Y’ + Z)’
d) XYZ + X’ + Y’ + Z’ = U

Answer:

I can prove these using venn diagrams but what are the laws of set algebra?

also U means the union of X, Y and Z...no?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would imagine things like the distributive laws, the associative laws, DeMorgan's laws, et cetera.

sara_87 said:

U generally denotes the universal set; a set large enough to contain all sets under consideration (for the given question). For example, Ac=U\A.

(Another way to think of it, is as the "rectangle" in which the sets are drawn when constructing a Venn diagram) In this instance, it is enough to take U to be the union of X, Y and Z.

Last edited:
sara_87 said:

No, you can't prove them using venn diagrams. You can justify them, but I doubt anyone would accept Venn diagrams as a 'proper' proof. It is easy to turn Venn diagram arguments into proper arguments though.

'It is easy to turn Venn diagram arguments into proper arguments though.'
yeah?...how? could you give me an example?

Look at the diagram. A set equality A=B is always best shown (if no clever methods are at hand) by demonstrating that anything in A is in B, and vice versa. If you look at the venn diagram for a), say, you can read off how to do this because you can see where elements in subsets of the LHS can be found in subset of the RHS.

Of course, here you just use the laws set algebras some of which are (and these are comutative operations)

XX=X
X+X=X
X'=U\X (set difference), or U=X+X'
XX'=0
UX=X
U+X=U

In particular Y=XY+X'Y

sara_87 said:
Question:

Use the laws of set algebra to show that for the sets X,Y,Z:
a) X + X’Y + ZX’ = X + Y + Z
b) XY + X’Y’ + X’Y + XY’ = U
c) Z’(X + Y’)(X’ +Z) = (X + Y’ + Z)’
d) XYZ + X’ + Y’ + Z’ = U

Answer:

Obviously it does not here because then b and d would make no sense! U here means the "universal set". "X+ Y" is the union of the two sets X and Y and XY means the intersection.

using the laws posted, this what i did:

a) X + X'Y + ZX'
= X +Y - XY + Z -XZ
=X + Y + X'Y - Y + Z + X'Z - Z
=X + X'Y + X'Z
=X + Y + XY + XZ + Z
= X + Y+ Z (RHS)
somehow i feel that i did a) wrong

b) XY + X'Y' + X'Y + XY'
=Y - X'Y + X'Y + X + YX
=Y + X + YX
=U

c) Z'(X+Y)(X'+Z)
=Z'XX' + XZZ' + X'YZ' + YZZ'
=0 + 0 + X'YZ' + 0
=(XY'Z)'

d) don't know where to start...whatever i do i get stuck

is a, b and c correct?

( i should start a new thread for this but i hate seeing my name a million times)

Functions:

if f: R -> A A={x|x belongs to R and -1<x<1}

x^2=y^2 is not injective...is it?

because x= + or - y

(the question is longer...if i turn out to be right i'll post it up properly and ask for help)

And what relation does f have to any of x or y in this question? y^2=x^2 does not define y as a function of x for precisely the reason given in your post, so this can't have any relation to f, can it?

1. What is a Venn diagram?

A Venn diagram is a visual representation of sets and their relationships. It consists of circles or ovals that overlap to show the common elements between sets.

2. How can Venn diagrams be used to prove set algebra laws?

Venn diagrams can be used to show the relationships between sets and how they are affected by different operations such as union, intersection, and complement. By using the diagrams to represent sets and applying the algebra laws, one can visually see how the laws hold true.

3. What are some common set algebra laws that can be proved using Venn diagrams?

Some common set algebra laws that can be proved using Venn diagrams include the commutative, associative, and distributive laws. These laws govern how sets are combined and manipulated using operations like union and intersection.

4. Are Venn diagrams the only way to prove set algebra laws?

No, there are other methods of proving set algebra laws such as using logical statements, truth tables, or algebraic equations. However, Venn diagrams provide a visual and intuitive way to understand and prove these laws.

5. How can Venn diagrams be helpful in understanding set algebra laws?

Venn diagrams can help individuals understand set algebra laws by providing a visual representation of the relationships between sets. This can make it easier to see how the laws work and how they can be applied in different scenarios.