Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Laws pertaining to creation of malicious software?

1. Jul 16, 2014 #1
    What does the law say about writing malicious programs? What if I write one and distribute it but I never actually run it myself? What are the repercussions for writing a script that retrieves all the passwords from users on a message board (not this one), provided that I'm not taking any personal info such as credit card numbers, and provided that the terms and conditions of the message board don't explicitly state that I cannot do so?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 16, 2014 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

I'm pretty sure it's illegal.

4. Jul 16, 2014 #3
  5. Jul 16, 2014 #4

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The law can get as creative as it needs to be. IIRC, some prosecutions in the UK before the Computer Misuse Act of 1990 were for the offense of stealing the electricity used by the machine running the malware.

(And in the UK, "stealing electricity" is a separate legal offense from "theft" in general, since historically theft only covered stealing physical objects....)

6. Jul 16, 2014 #5

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wow. My current UPS load is showing 66 Watts. My "on-peak" electrical rate is 10.81¢ per kWh. So I'd be stealing a max of $0.17 per day.

Note to self: No malicious code creation. At least during "on-peak" times. :biggrin:

7. Jul 17, 2014 #6

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yeah, but if you send out a million spam emails and include the recipients' power usage while reading them, that goes up to 66 MW :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook