Lawson Parameter for Sustained Deuterium-Deuterium Fusion

In summary, the minimum Lawson parameter for sustained deuterium-deuterium fusion in a plasma with an energy of 10 keV can be calculated using the equation n\tau > \frac{12 k T}{<\sigma v> Q}, where Q is the energy released in the fusion reaction. The value of Q for d-d reaction is 4 MeV when a proton is produced and 3.3 MeV when a neutron is produced. The appropriate value to use for Q in the minimum Lawson parameter calculation is the larger value of 4 MeV. To calculate the temperature of the reaction, T, the energy of the plasma (10 MeV) can be used with the equation \frac{3}{2}
accidentprone

Homework Statement

Calculate the minimum Lawson parameter for sustained deuterium-deuterium fusion in a plasma with an energy of 10 keV.

Homework Equations

The Lawson parameter is given as $$ n \tau > \frac{12 k T}{<\sigma v> Q} $$

where [itex]\sigma[/itex] is the fusion cross-section.

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that Q for d-d reaction is 4 MeV when a proton is produced and 3.3 MeV when a neutron is produced so I assume for the minimum Lawson parameter I should use the larger value of 4 MeV?

Also if the energy of the plasma is 10 MeV should I use this to calculate the temperature of the reaction [itex]T[/itex] using [itex] \frac{3}{2} k T [/itex] or somehow the velocity [itex]v[/itex] using [itex] \frac{1}{2} m v^2 [/itex]?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm having trouble finding the fusion cross-section but I think it is in the range of 2-4 barns. So I have all the other parameters required, do I just plug them all into the equation and solve for n\tau ? Thanks for any help!

1. What is the Lawson Criterion for sustained deuterium-deuterium fusion?

The Lawson Criterion is a measure of the minimum conditions required for sustained nuclear fusion reactions to occur. It takes into account the fuel density, temperature, and confinement time needed for the fusion process to produce more energy than it consumes.

2. Why is the Lawson Criterion important for deuterium-deuterium fusion?

The Lawson Criterion is important because it provides a theoretical limit for the conditions needed to achieve sustained fusion reactions. It helps scientists determine the feasibility and potential success of fusion experiments, and guides the design of fusion reactors.

3. What are the main factors that affect the Lawson Criterion for deuterium-deuterium fusion?

The three main factors that affect the Lawson Criterion are fuel density, temperature, and confinement time. A higher fuel density increases the probability of fusion reactions, a higher temperature ensures the fuel is hot enough for fusion to occur, and a longer confinement time allows for more reactions to take place.

4. How does the Lawson Criterion differ for deuterium-deuterium fusion compared to other fusion reactions?

The Lawson Criterion is the same for all fusion reactions, including deuterium-deuterium fusion. However, the conditions required for sustained fusion reactions may differ depending on the type of fuel used and the specific fusion process.

5. Can the Lawson Criterion be achieved in current fusion experiments?

Currently, fusion experiments have not been able to fully achieve the Lawson Criterion for sustained fusion reactions. However, scientists are continuously making progress in improving the conditions and technologies used in fusion experiments, bringing us closer to achieving the Lawson Criterion and ultimately, sustainable fusion energy.