Proving P(A|B) with Latex: Seeking Help

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter brendan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex
In summary, the conversation is about using Latex packages for a project on probability and finding a good template for displaying proofs. The speaker offers their own template and suggests using it as a resource.
brendan
Hi All,

I'm using the following Latex Pakages

\documentclass[11pt,a4paper]{article}
\usepackage{amsmath}
\usepackage{graphicx}

I need to prove

P(A|B >= 1- ((1 - r) / s)

I was wondering if anyone has or knows of a good Latex template to display the < > = proofs

regards
Brendan

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm confused, do you want a proof environment? I am doing a project on probability so you can nick my template if you want, might be useful. http://www.bath.ac.uk/~bs250/Project/title.sty (Don't ask why its called title). It has all the macros I need (theorem, proof, definition, etc..) and some shortcuts like \P for [tex]\mathbb{P}[/tex].

Last edited by a moderator:

Hello Brendan,

Thank you for reaching out for help with your Latex proof. The equation you have provided, P(A|B) >= 1-((1-r)/s), is known as the conditional probability of A given B. This means that the probability of event A occurring, given that event B has already occurred, is greater than or equal to 1 minus the probability of event B not occurring, divided by the probability of event B occurring.

To display this proof in Latex, you can use the "align" environment from the "amsmath" package. This will allow you to align the equal sign in your equation, as well as include any necessary symbols or formatting. Your code could look something like this:

\begin{align*}
P(A|B) &\geq 1-\frac{1-r}{s}
\end{align*}

I hope this helps with your proof. Good luck!

Best,

1. How do I use Latex to prove P(A|B)?

To prove P(A|B) with Latex, you will need to use the equation P(A|B) = P(A∩B)/P(B). This equation represents the probability of event A occurring given that event B has already occurred. You will then need to input the appropriate values for P(A∩B) and P(B) to solve the equation.

2. Can you provide an example of using Latex to prove P(A|B)?

Sure! Let's say we have a bag of 10 marbles, 5 red and 5 blue. If we randomly select 2 marbles without replacement, what is the probability of getting 2 red marbles given that the first marble drawn was red? Using Latex, we can set up the equation as P(R|R) = P(R∩R)/P(R) = (5/10 * 4/9) / (5/10) = 4/9. Therefore, the probability of getting 2 red marbles given that the first one was red is 4/9.

3. What symbols and formatting do I need to use in Latex to prove P(A|B)?

You will need to use the following symbols and formatting in Latex to prove P(A|B): P for probability, ∩ for intersection, / for division, and = for equality. In addition, you may also want to use parentheses to clearly show the order of operations.

4. Are there any common mistakes to watch out for when using Latex to prove P(A|B)?

One common mistake is forgetting to use the correct values for P(A∩B) and P(B). It is important to carefully read the problem and identify which values correspond to each variable in the equation. Another mistake is forgetting to convert between fractions and percentages, as Latex works with fractions by default.

5. Where can I find more resources for using Latex to prove P(A|B)?

There are many online tutorials and guides available for learning Latex and its various functions. You can also find helpful examples and explanations on websites such as Overleaf and ShareLaTeX. Additionally, many textbooks and resources on probability and statistics also include examples of using Latex for calculations and proofs.