Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Medical Layman's brain-book suggestion

1. May 3, 2006 #1

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hey everyone,

I'm looking for a gift for my sister. She's educated, but not a biologist. She wants a book about the brain and memory, specifically with some focus on the learning process. She's a musician and an educator, so she'd like to learn more about how different kinds of learning happen (including, for example, phenomena like muscle memory).

Does anyone have any book suggestions?

Thanks,

- Warren

2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2006 #2

hypnagogue

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Perhaps not exactly what you're looking for, but Eric Kandel's new book In Search of Memory might be a good fit.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/03...f=pd_bbs_1/102-9107198-6875311?_encoding=UTF8

Last edited: May 4, 2006
  4. May 4, 2006 #3

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Phantoms in the Brain by V. S. Ramachandran might fit as well. I particularly liked the way he performed simple experiments to check the theories he talks about.

Last edited: May 4, 2006
  5. May 4, 2006 #4
    I was about to recommend the same when I initially read the post, but I felt that it wasn't exactly what chroot was looking for. It is certainly one of the best layman's brain-book out there.

6. May 4, 2006 #5

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think both of those books would be very interesting to her -- thanks for the suggestions so far! Does anyone have any others?

- Warren

7. May 5, 2006 #6

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It may be a streach but Douglas Hofstaters GEB, Godel, Esher, Bach- The Eternal Golden Braid Has a very good analogy of the brain. Since your sister is interested in art and music it hits home on 2 of the 3 main topics. He addresses the brain and much much more.

8. May 6, 2006 #7
    I would never suggest GEB for starters....It is an amazing book - but only if you are already exposed to some simpler stuff. Phantoms in the Brain is what I would suggest someone first.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?