How Can Random Atomic Weights Influence Element Properties in a Simulation Game?

In summary: The only thing you can say with certainty is that the higher the atomic number and weight, the more energetic the atom.
Kidsam
Hi everyone, I'm trying to build a simulation type program, with various made up, extrapolated elements, generated mainly by random atomic weights, and numbers, the program would end up being sort of a game, you would be able to fabricate, or collect elements with randomized properties, and make structures out of them, for example, you could make a house out of titanium, or you could make it out of something less reasonable, like a gas, or liquid at room temperature, which would fall apart, or melt depending on the environments properties

anyway, i was hoping some people could help me out, by explaining some properties that could be extrapolated by the structure of certain elements, ie, is there a way to determine a melting point (or get an idea of), determine its solid hardness, determine if it's maleable, or metallic, or magnetic, determine how much energy is inside of it, and how easily it could be used (from what i gather, elements with high atomic weight & number have more energy), or any other interesting properties that could be extrapolated

any help would be appreciated, pleas also use terms i could understand lol

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Kidsam said:
Hi everyone, I'm trying to build a simulation type program, with various made up, extrapolated elements, generated mainly by random atomic weights, and numbers, the program would end up being sort of a game, you would be able to fabricate, or collect elements with randomized properties, and make structures out of them, for example, you could make a house out of titanium, or you could make it out of something less reasonable, like a gas, or liquid at room temperature, which would fall apart, or melt depending on the environments properties

anyway, i was hoping some people could help me out, by explaining some properties that could be extrapolated by the structure of certain elements, ie, is there a way to determine a melting point (or get an idea of), determine its solid hardness, determine if it's maleable, or metallic, or magnetic, determine how much energy is inside of it, and how easily it could be used (from what i gather, elements with high atomic weight & number have more energy), or any other interesting properties that could be extrapolated
This doesn't have much to do with particle physics, but properties of matter - or condensed matter.

Most of our structural materials are compounds, e.g., wood, glass, steel, aluminum alloys. The basis of choice involves strength (and cost) and function. Glass is necessary for windows, but it also must withstand the weather. Similarly, wood is less expensive than metal alloys, but nails or screws/bolts are used to fasten the wood together.

Folks have built fixed or semi-permanent housing out of vehicles, e.g., busses or airplanes or railroad rolling stock, and we have mobile homes. The housing should be resistant to whatever high winds and heaviest precipitation are possible in the region.

Well, i wasn't planning on going that far in depth with it, the main appeal i wanted for the simulation would be using various elements for different purposes, and seeing how it holds up against various environments, it wouldn't have to be realistic exactly, but it would have to generate some interesting properties, extrapolated from essentially, a diagram of that elements atoms, the simulation would allow you to for example, unearth elements (or compounds) out of the ground, and put them into for example, a building, you could choose what materials would be used for different things, for example, you might choose iron for the framework of a building, some carbon compound for the walls, and the floors, and it would be subjected to weather simulations, and you could do this on various planets.

Compounds was another thing i'd like to implement, for example, you could combine 2 elements, and these diagrams would be overlayed, or merged somehow to produce a new set of properties, perhaps with characteristics of the parent elements

also, sorry i don't really know what wing of physics this involes, apologies if it's in the wrong forum

edit: also, i assume certain assumptions will need to be made across the board, because from what i know, pure elements can have different structures and properties, like carbon for example, can be arranged into nanotubes, coal, diamonds, but still be carbon, so i might have to make some assumptions for each element, so i don't have to simulate every different possibly form it can come in

Last edited:
This is puzzling and confusing. You don't want to be too realistic, but realistic enough? Where is the fine line here?

Either you just throw out reality and make it up yourself, or you pay attention to the actual physics. Otherwise, your description on where you draw the line is vague.

Please note that it is VERY difficult to infer the properties of matter simply based on the properties of individual atoms! Some will even say that it is impossible. The COLLECTIVE properties of atoms, when they are in a conglomerate, can be VERY different than their individual, isolated properties. So already, you are being unrealistic in trying to model the behavior such as melting point, etc. simply by looking at your made-up element.

Zz.

You could maybe see if there is something of a Civil Engineering Forum. They might be able to help you on a general materials and how they are affected level.

What is particle physics?

Particle physics is a branch of physics that studies the fundamental building blocks of matter and the interactions between them. These building blocks, also known as particles, include atoms, protons, neutrons, electrons, and various subatomic particles.

What are the main particles studied in particle physics?

The main particles studied in particle physics are quarks, leptons, and bosons. Quarks and leptons are considered fundamental particles, while bosons are particles responsible for carrying the fundamental forces of nature.

How are particles classified in particle physics?

Particles are classified based on their properties, such as mass, charge, and spin. They are also categorized as either fermions or bosons, depending on their spin. Fermions have half-integer spin, while bosons have integer spin.

What is the Large Hadron Collider?

The Large Hadron Collider (LHC) is the world's largest and most powerful particle accelerator. It is located at CERN in Switzerland and is used to collide particles at high energies in order to study the fundamental properties of matter and search for new particles.

What are some real-world applications of particle physics?

Particle physics has led to numerous advancements and technologies, such as medical imaging devices like PET and MRI scanners, as well as the development of nuclear power and radiation therapy. It also has implications for understanding the origins of the universe and the future of energy production.