Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lazy FAT americans

1. Aug 9, 2008 #1
    Well, I've noticed that there are more and more and more fellow americans that are way over weight. I was at a conference and one of the speakers was talking about Americans being over weight. She had a map of the entire USA for the last ten years that had colors representing the % of people who were over weight by (20lbs?) for their height. It started off blue in 1998, and now its nearly all RED. Everywhere I look, I see big fatas people. Men, women, boys, girls. All fat. Even small children are fat! Go ride a bike or something America!

[​IMG]

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 9, 2008 #2

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We aren't overweight - we're undertall.

4. Aug 9, 2008 #3
    Speculation on the price of oil -> Higher gas prices -> Ethanol subsidies -> Higher prices of corn -> Higher prices of food -> Less demand for food -> Americans trim down on "inches"

</sarcasm>

5. Aug 9, 2008 #4
    Blame food companies and farm lobbyists too. EVERYTHING, even stuff you might not even guess, now has high fructose corn syrup in it.

6. Aug 9, 2008 #5
    It definitely does not make everybody overweight.

Fat people are responsible for their choices. One chooses to live a short life with plenty of unnecessary greasy food, this is a free country right ? Their doctor told them, they know what they are doing, so they are indeed free to do so.

I am ready to see display of one out of thousand example of medical disorder overweight. This does not change the fact that the vast majority of overweight people just have unhealthy eating habits.

7. Aug 9, 2008 #6

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Seriously, that stuff is pure poison. My doctor advised me to get it out of my diet. It's freaking everywhere!!

8. Aug 9, 2008 #7
    It is in fresh vegetables and fruits ? Is it in fresh meat and fish ? Nonsense.

9. Aug 9, 2008 #8
    ya .. blame anyone other than taking responsibility for ourselves.

typical .

10. Aug 9, 2008 #9
    It's a combination of things. Poor food choices, sedentary lifestyle, and lack of information.

I think you overestimate just how much people know.

I bet most people don't know that a caesar salad has more calories and fat than a steak. How many people know that a bagel is like eating 5-6 slices of bread?

Food companies are to blame to. Why do you think they try to hide the total amount of calories and fat in a package of food by listing the nutritional info by servings when they know most people will probably consume the entire package anyway?

Restaurants don't have to list nutritional info for the items on their menu at all. In the US something like 1 out of every 5 meals is eaten out of the home. There have been numerous studies how people constantly underestimate how many calories they are consuming at a restaurant when no nutritional info is given.

11. Aug 9, 2008 #10
    And not everyone can afford that. Have you ever driven through the ghettos in a major city like Philadelphia or Newark, NJ? Fast food places are everywhere in places like that. Poorer people are more likely to be overweight because they can't afford to eat healthy quality foods.

12. Aug 9, 2008 #11

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Calories are calories. One calorie from fat or sugar really is not any worse than one calorie from an apple. The science just doesn't back it up. It's your eating habits, how many calories you consume as opposed to how many calories you burn.

The only thing that's interesting seems to be what trans fats do to your body, we don't actually know, but it seems to affect the body in some way as to cause weight gain, but I've read that potassium defiency can also cause weight gain.

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1822118,00.html

13. Aug 9, 2008 #12

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Very true. But in some people (me, for example), high fructose corn syrup (HFCS) may cause high blood pressure and high cholesterol levels.

Even though I'm not fat, exercise regularly and I'm healthy, my blood cholesterol was extraordinarily high. My doctor sent me to a dietician. She said there's a lot of research looking at the link between HFCS and "metabolic syndrome" - a combination of high blood pressure, high 'bad' cholesterol, weight gain, increase in inflammation, and diabetes.

She told me I have to get HFCS out of my diet altogether.

Of course, no one is forcing Americans to consume it. But unless a person is educated enough to know to avoid it, their diet will have far too much HFCS.

14. Aug 9, 2008 #13
    :rofl:

15. Aug 9, 2008 #14
    I do no know what is worse, people being obese or obese people finding excuses for why they are obese.

16. Aug 9, 2008 #15

Dale

17. Aug 9, 2008 #16
    Meh, at least I'm not. 16 years old 5'6" and 96 lbs.

18. Aug 9, 2008 #17

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't really understand where this statement is coming from. At least in the apple you have got fibers and all other good stuff, which you don't get from eating refined sugars. So calories are only calories energetically, it doesn't tell you anything about the quality of the food.

19. Aug 9, 2008 #18

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wouldn't be fun to open the newspaper and see a picture of yourself accompanying the article? (or would they use a model?)

20. Aug 9, 2008 #19

Evo

It's the calorie itself. I put a link to the article.

Surely factors like fiber would help. Some foods burn more calories to digest than they contain. But the calories themselves have the same values.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2008
  21. Aug 9, 2008 #20

Dale

Hmmm, I wonder. I would be embarassed to be seen in public looking like that. But someone who is comfortable enough with their own flab to go jiggling around a public beach might actually be pleased to see their picture in the paper that way.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?