1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

LC circuit current of inductor

1. Jan 11, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In the figure given, find i(t) for the inductor
    My problem is though when we found i(t) with a source we find the transient response and the steady state response...
    I know how to do the transient response of an RLC circuit not an LC one.... do i just consider R to be 0

2. Relevant equations
    the damping factor is given as (1/RC) for a parallel RLC circuit
    the frequency is given as 1/(√LC) which in this case is 1/2 am I right?
    3. The attempt at a solution
    There obviously is no damping factor therefore α = 0, however if R = 0 and we substitute for R in the damping factor equation we get infinity??
    and for some reason the book says the frequency is 1/4... where did I go wrong??
    Thank you

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2017 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Is this the damping factor ζ or is it the Quality factor Q?

The frequency of ½ looks right, though you need to specify its units.

4. Jan 11, 2017 #3
    In my textbook it's the damping factor which is R/2L for series RLC circuits and 1/RC for parallel RLC circuits

5. Jan 11, 2017 #4

NascentOxygen

More commonly known as the attenuation factor, ##\alpha##. Are you sure the last one isn't ##\mathsf {\frac 1{2RC}}##?

wikipedia is a good resource for this, along with myriad others

6. Jan 11, 2017 #5

gneill

Since the circuit in question does not contain any resistance it is unwise to apply the "standard" RLC circuit formulas. With R = 0, any derivations of quantities or terms that rely on a division by R will be undefined or infinite (in other words, nonsense).

A better approach might be to start from the beginning, writing the differential equation for the given circuit.

7. Jan 11, 2017 #6
    Thank you

8. Jan 11, 2017 #7
    Never mind, I found it
    thanks ;)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted