LC circuit oscillations

In summary: The inductor and capacitor act as a resonant circuit, storing and releasing energy at a specific frequency. This creates a back and forth flow of electricity, causing the oscillation. In summary, the period of electromagnetic oscillations in a series LC circuit with a 100 mH inductor, 36 mF capacitor, and 12 V battery is 0.376 seconds. The oscillation is caused by an alternating voltage source and the resonant properties of the inductor and capacitor.
snipaj9696
A series LC circuit contains a 100 mH inductor, a 36.0 mF capacitor and a 12 V battery. The period of the electromagnetic oscillations in the circuit is

1. 0.0227 s.

2. 1750 s.

3. 105 s.

4. 2.26 s.

5. 0.376 s.

f= 1/ 2*π *√L *C

L =100mH
C= 36uF

so,,f = 2.65

T = 1/f = 0.376S Is this correct?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think the correct answer is there at all. The correct equation for the frequency
is: [tex] f = \frac {1} {2 \pi \sqrt{L C}} [/tex].
if you type it in ascii you should type f = 1 / (2 * pi * √(L*C)) to prevent misunderstanding. If I substitute L = 0.1 H and C = 36 * 10^(-6) F, I get f = 83.9 Hz and T = 0.0119 s

In the original problem statement you have that the capacitance is 36 milliFarads, but later in your post you state that the capacitance is 36 microFarads. If the capacitance is 36 mF, then I believe your answer is correct.

I apologize the the m in the mF for 36mF is the greek letter Mu (10E-6). With that said is my answer correct?

WAIT! IT IS 36mF.. The m is not Mu!

may I ask what causes this electromagnetic oscilliation? never heard of it before...

Well, you had listed it as uF at the very bottom, not mF.

An alternating voltage source causes the oscillation.

Last edited:

1. What is an LC circuit?

An LC circuit is a type of circuit that consists of an inductor (L) and a capacitor (C) connected in series. It is also known as a tank circuit or resonant circuit.

2. What is the purpose of an LC circuit?

An LC circuit is used to produce and sustain oscillations at a specific frequency. It can be found in many electronic devices, such as radios and televisions, to tune in to a specific frequency.

3. How do oscillations occur in an LC circuit?

Oscillations occur in an LC circuit when the capacitor and inductor exchange energy back and forth. The energy is stored in the capacitor's electric field and the inductor's magnetic field, causing them to alternatively charge and discharge.

4. What factors affect the frequency of oscillations in an LC circuit?

The frequency of oscillations in an LC circuit is affected by the values of the inductance and capacitance, as well as the initial charge on the capacitor. It also depends on the resistance in the circuit, which can dampen the oscillations.

5. What is the formula for calculating the resonant frequency of an LC circuit?

The resonant frequency (f) of an LC circuit can be calculated using the formula f = 1/(2π√(LC)), where L is the inductance in Henrys and C is the capacitance in Farads.