LC circuit with inductor problem

In summary, an LC circuit with an inductor of 4 microH is used as a tuner for an FM radio. The unknown capacitance required to tune into a radio station of 100 MHz is the main concern. The equation w= 2pif = 1/sqrt LC is used, but there are too many unknowns. It is important to identify which unit microH and MHz go with in order to solve the problem.
physics100000

Homework Statement

An LC circuit with an inductor of 4 microH is used as tuner for an FM radio. The capacitance required to tune into a radio stations of 100 MHz is most nearly what?

Homework Equations

w= 2pif = 1/sqrt LC

The Attempt at a Solution

I plugged in 4 microH into equation for f but I realized I have too many unknowns. I also tired 100 MHz for f but same problem. I am lost, please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
My advice is to figure out what quantity microH goes with and which quantity MHz goes with. They can't both be f unless microH and MHz are the same unit, which they aren't.

What is an LC circuit with inductor problem?

An LC circuit with inductor problem involves a circuit that contains a capacitor (C) and an inductor (L) connected in series or parallel. These types of circuits are commonly used in electronics as filters, oscillators, and voltage regulators.

What is the purpose of an LC circuit with inductor?

The purpose of an LC circuit with inductor is to store and release energy in the form of oscillations. The capacitor stores electrical energy, while the inductor stores magnetic energy. When the capacitor and inductor are connected in a circuit, the energy is constantly exchanged between them, resulting in oscillations at a certain frequency.

What are the key components of an LC circuit with inductor problem?

The key components of an LC circuit with inductor problem are the capacitor and inductor. Other components may also be present, such as resistors or a power source, but the capacitor and inductor are the essential elements that determine the behavior of the circuit.

What is the role of an inductor in an LC circuit?

The inductor in an LC circuit plays a crucial role in storing and releasing energy. It resists changes in current and helps to maintain the oscillations in the circuit. The inductor also determines the frequency of the oscillations, along with the capacitor.

How do you solve problems involving LC circuits with inductors?

To solve problems involving LC circuits with inductors, you can use Kirchhoff's laws and the equations for capacitors and inductors. You will need to determine the initial conditions of the circuit, such as the voltage and current, and then use these equations to calculate the behavior of the circuit over time. Additionally, you can use simulation software to model and analyze the circuit.