Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

LC Circuit

1. Feb 25, 2008 #1
    Hello guys. I have a simple question regarding an LC circuit.

Imagine a voltage source [itex]V_0[/itex], a capacitor [itex]C[/itex] and an inductor [itex]L[/itex], all hooked up in series. I know that the equation governing the behvior of the system is

[tex]V_0=\frac{1}{C}q(t)+L\ddot{q}(t),[/tex]

and hence

[tex]q(t)=A\cos \omega t + B\sin \omega t + CV_0.[/tex]

What I'm having trouble with is the initial conditions. Is it fair to assume that in [itex]t=0[/itex] there is no charge nor current in the system?

If I put a switch in the system, how would the initial conditions change (assuming is open in [itex]t=0[/itex] and closed in [itex]t>0[/itex])?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2008 #2
    Yes because the voltage across a capacitor cannot change instantaneously and then current though an inductor cannot change instantaneously.

4. Feb 25, 2008 #3
    So the answer is

[tex]q(t)=CV_0 (1-\cos \omega t)[/tex]

no matter if I have a switch or not?

5. Feb 26, 2008 #4
    Well, in case you have been wondering, It's all wrong!

What I have to do is imagine a RLC ciruit, solve it with conditions [itex]i(0)=V_0/R, \, i'(0)=0[/itex], integrate in [itex]t[/itex], divide by [itex]C[/itex] and then take the limit as [itex]R \rightarrow 0[/itex]. Then I'll know what's the voltage passing trough the capacitor on my original LC circuit!

Yeah!

6. Feb 26, 2008 #5
    Well, you didn't give us that initial set of conditions.

7. Feb 27, 2008 #6
    I know, I know. It was exactly that what made me realize my minstake. Thanks for the input tough, you really got me thinking.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?