1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

LC circuit

1. Jun 29, 2011 #1
    Hi all!
    I tried to make an inductor.
    Naturally, I am not sure about it's inductance value.
    I made an LC series circuit on a bread board.
    I am using a oscilloscope and an a function generator to find the value of L during the resonant frequency. Channel one goes from function generator straight to the oscilloscope. Can somebody tell me please what should channel 2 measure? ...the voltage across the capacitor or the inductor??

Thanks a lot.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 29, 2011 #2
    Either One would work but you'll most easily measure across the series combination. At resonance the LC impedance is zero so you'll see only the voltage of the generator and resistor.

You can measure across the capacitor and you'll see the largest voltage at the resonance. Same with the inductor.

BTW, you should connect the RLC circuit to the function generator or you'll read zero everyplace.

4. Jun 29, 2011 #3
    I did connected across the generator. BTW I didn't put the resistor in my circuit... should still work, right?

5. Jun 29, 2011 #4
    Yes. The generator and/or the scope might be a 50 ohm impedance. Won't change the resonant frequency much at all.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook