Measuring Inductance Value of Handmade Inductor

In summary, the speaker is asking for advice on how to measure the inductance value of an inductor they have made using an LC series circuit on a breadboard. They are using an oscilloscope and function generator, but are unsure of which channel to measure the voltage across. Another speaker suggests measuring across the series combination, as at resonance the LC impedance is zero. They also mention that the RLC circuit should be connected to the function generator to avoid getting a reading of zero. The speaker confirms that they have connected the circuit across the generator and asks if it will still work without a resistor, to which the other speaker replies that it should still work.
Gretik
Hi all!
I tried to make an inductor.
Naturally, I am not sure about it's inductance value.
I made an LC series circuit on a bread board.
I am using a oscilloscope and an a function generator to find the value of L during the resonant frequency. Channel one goes from function generator straight to the oscilloscope. Can somebody tell me please what should channel 2 measure? ...the voltage across the capacitor or the inductor??

Thanks a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
Either One would work but you'll most easily measure across the series combination. At resonance the LC impedance is zero so you'll see only the voltage of the generator and resistor.

You can measure across the capacitor and you'll see the largest voltage at the resonance. Same with the inductor.

BTW, you should connect the RLC circuit to the function generator or you'll read zero everyplace.

I did connected across the generator. BTW I didn't put the resistor in my circuit... should still work, right?

Yes. The generator and/or the scope might be a 50 ohm impedance. Won't change the resonant frequency much at all.

Hello there,

It's great that you are experimenting with making your own inductor! Measuring the inductance value of a handmade inductor can be a bit tricky, but with the right equipment and method, it can be done accurately.

To answer your question, channel 2 should measure the voltage across the inductor. This is because in an LC series circuit, the voltage across the inductor and capacitor are out of phase with each other. At the resonant frequency, the voltage across the inductor will be at its maximum value while the voltage across the capacitor will be at its minimum value. By measuring the voltage across the inductor, you can determine the inductance value using the formula V = L(di/dt), where V is the voltage, L is the inductance, and di/dt is the rate of change of current.

It's also important to note that the inductance value may vary depending on the materials and construction of your inductor. To get a more accurate measurement, you can also try using an LCR meter specifically designed for measuring inductance.

Best of luck with your experiment! Keep exploring and learning.

1. How do I measure the inductance value of a handmade inductor?

To measure the inductance value of a handmade inductor, you will need an inductance meter or an LCR meter. Connect the inductor to the meter and follow the instructions on the meter to get the inductance value in Henry (H) or millihenry (mH).

2. What is the difference between measuring inductance value of a handmade inductor and a commercially bought inductor?

The main difference is the accuracy of the measurement. Handmade inductors may have variations in their physical dimensions and materials used, leading to slight differences in the inductance value compared to a commercially bought inductor that is manufactured with precise dimensions and materials.

3. What factors can affect the inductance value of a handmade inductor?

The inductance value of a handmade inductor can be affected by the number of turns in the coil, the diameter and length of the wire used, the core material, and the spacing between the turns. These factors can lead to variations in the inductance value and should be taken into consideration when making handmade inductors.

4. How can I improve the accuracy of the inductance value measurement for a handmade inductor?

To improve the accuracy of the inductance value measurement for a handmade inductor, you can use a calibrated inductance meter or LCR meter, make sure to wind the coil tightly and uniformly, use a consistent wire diameter and core material, and minimize any spacing between the turns.

5. Can I use a multimeter to measure the inductance value of a handmade inductor?

No, a multimeter is not designed to measure inductance values. It can only measure resistance, voltage, and current. To accurately measure the inductance value of a handmade inductor, you will need a specialized inductance meter or LCR meter.