1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

LC Filter in Matlab

1. Aug 25, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm trying to make a theoretical Bode Amplitude plot of the following circuit in Matlab:

sm6q6b.jpg

The transfer functions is given by

##T=\frac{V_{out}}{V_{in}}=\frac{R_2}{R_2+z_p}##

##z_p=R_p|| j \omega L || \frac{1}{j \omega C} = \frac{R_p}{1+ j R_p (\omega C - \frac{1}{\omega L})}##

Where ##R_p## is the parallel loss resistance of the inductor (~19.49 Ω). R2=300, C=22.09 nF, L=10.08 mH.

I know that the graph is supposed to look like a notch (trap) filter, here is an experimental graph of this same filter:

xcnh94.jpg

3. The attempt at a solution

Here is the code I used to make a theoretical plot:

But my plot looks like this:

2vcdrm9.jpg

And after the 103 point it's completely flat.

What is wrong with my code? :confused:

Any help is appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 25, 2014 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

19.49Ω seems a disastrously low parallel resistance equivalent. I think it will wreak havoc on a filter's response. Are you sure that isn't meant to be a series resistance of 19.49Ω?

I can't comment on matlab.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  4. Aug 25, 2014 #3
    I think you forgot an 's' in there. It should be:
    Code (Text):

z=Rp/(1+(Rp*s*C)+(Rp/(s*L)));

But I doubt it makes any difference. Like NascentOxygen wrote, that RLC circuit will be extremely lossy, i.e. its Q factor will be very low/bandwidth will be very high.

5. Aug 25, 2014 #4

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Judging by the "experimental graph of this same filter", Rp is likely closer to 20 kΩ than 20 Ω.

6. Aug 26, 2014 #5
    Thank you so much for the feedback.

Yes, I think 19.49 Ω may be the series resistance of the inductor (I measured it using an RCL meter, I will double check this).

But according to my book the parallel resistance Rp may be calculated from the graph using the quality factor relationships:

##Q_p = \frac{R_p}{\omega_0 L}=\omega_0 R_p C##

##Q= Q_p \sqrt{1-2|T_{min}|^2}##

Qp being the quality factor of the parallel inductor-capacitor combination, and Q is the actual quality factor of the filter (a measure of the sharpness of the peak).

|Tmin| is the minimum value of the transfer function (minimum value of |T|), which occurs when |zp| is a maximum (at resonant frequency ##\omega_0 =1/\sqrt{LC}##).

In my plot Tmin is my last data point where it is equal to -0.080 dB (or 1.01 in linear magnitude), so

##1.01 = \frac{V_{out}}{V_{in}}= \frac{300}{300+z_p} \implies z_p = -2.97##

zp and Rp are related by:

##z_p=\frac{R_p}{1+jR_p(\omega C - \frac{1}{\omega L})}##

But then how do I solve for ##R_p## from this impedance? How can I get rid of the j's in the denominator? (I'm looking for a way to solve for Rp without actually having to measure it experimentally).

Yes, when I vary the resistance to to Rp≈1 kΩ, the theoretical graph starts to look right.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted