Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

LCD projector into SLM

1. Aug 13, 2012 #1
    I am currently trying to convert an old Sharp XG-NV2U LCD Projector into a spatial light modulator, and have gotten stuck. The panels dont seem to be interfacing with the computer anymore, which is a problem since I want to use them to project diffraction gratings. Using two polarizing lenses, I have blocked out all light when the projector is off, and then when I turn it back on light is transmitted. So a voltage is getting through, but I cant get any changes regardless of what I am trying to send to the panel (black screen, white screen, stripes, checkers...).
    Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 14, 2012 #2

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi and welcome to PF.
    Could we have some more details?
    Doesn't a normal data projector consist of a light source, followed by a SLM? I don't understand how you want to "project" a diffraction grating. You can project an image but not a grating. The grating can be formed on the panel inside the projector but how can an image of that grating do any 'diffracting' when it's on a screen? I am confused at the moment.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook