1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lcm and gcd

1. Jun 27, 2004 #1
    i have this one ? and it is bugging me !! show that a,b,c = to (ab,ac,bc)[a,b,c]. () = to the gcd and [] = to the lcm. does that notation mean multiply the numbers together? i mean i started out saying this...

(ab,ac,bc) = 1, so there exist a p prime s.t. p divides ab, p divides ac, and p divides bc. so if p divides ac, then p HAS to divide the other two, right? can anyone show me where i am going wrong and point me in the right direction? thank you all!!
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2004 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What does that mean, specifically, "a,b,c = "? Do you mean all three numbers, a, b, and c equal the right side?

Why would this be true?
  4. Jun 28, 2004 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Okay, (a,b,c) is the gdc and [abc] is the lcm but what does a,b,c on the left side of the equation mean? I thought at first that you had forgotten the "[" and meant [a,b,c] but then it's not true. Do you mean a*b*b= (a,b,c)*[a,b,c]?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?