1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

LCM is associative

1. Mar 23, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I need to prove that the least common multiple operation is associative.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Pages of crappy algebra trying to use the fact that LCM(a,b) = |ab|/gcd(a,b)

I hate to be "that guy" that doesn't post much of an attempt but I am getting nowhere with this. Maybe a hint or a fact about the LCM that will lead to a proof..?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2014 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Let ##x = \textrm{LCM}(a,\textrm{LCM}(b,c))## and ##y=\textrm{LCM}(\textrm{LCM}(a,b),c)##.

First, show that ##a## divides both ##x## and ##y##. And the same for ##b## and ##c##. Then show that ##\textrm{LCM}(b,c)## divides ##y## and that ##\textrm{LCM}(a,b)## divides ##x##.

Start with that.

4. Mar 23, 2014 #3
    Alright, thank you.

I am currently trying an argument with prime factorization that seems... reasonable, but I will try this too.

5. Mar 23, 2014 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I'm trying to use the fact that if ##a## divides a number ##z## and if ##b## divides a number ##z##, then ##\textrm{LCM}(a,b)## divides ##z##. Do you know this fact? Try to prove it.

6. Mar 23, 2014 #5
    Oh, I think I got you. They divide each other using that property (nearly) alone.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted