1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lcm proof

1. Feb 11, 2010 #1
    I am aiming to prove that:
    lcm(ab,ad)=a[lcm(b,d)]
    I am not really sure where to start. So I simply want to prove that a divides lcm(ab,ad)? Or that if a divides b and a divides d then it will divide the lcm of (ad,ad)? Nonetheless, I am still not sure as to where to start? Any tips?- Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2010 #2
    Hey there! Are you taking introductory number theory?
    If you are, the proof goes like this:

lcm(ab,ad)gcd(ab,ad)=[tex]a^{2}bd[/tex]
    We know that gcd(ab,ad)=a gcd(b,d)
    [tex]\frac{lcm(ab,ad)}{a}=\frac{bd}{gcd(b,d)}[/tex]
    Now focus on the right hand side , what can you tell?

4. Feb 13, 2010 #3
    Yes, I am taking elementary number theory? So far I am really enjoying it, but I have never taken a math course like this. This is my first course that require writing proofs, so it's been a bit of a challenge.

Isn't the RHS simply the definition of lcm(b,d)? So does that just imply that a can be factored out of lcm(ab,ad) and when is divided by a cancels?

5. Feb 13, 2010 #4
    Be careful with the details; if you want to prove that for the integers then your equality is false: it should be lcm(ab,ac) = |a|lcm(b,c). Be careful with the signs.

6. Feb 13, 2010 #5
    The problem in the text states that equality... so I guess I should just assume that it means for positive integers only?

7. Feb 13, 2010 #6
    Your text should also state which base set it is considering: the naturals or the integers. Without the modulus, that equality is valid only for the naturals.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook