LCR circuits and phase angle

In summary, an AC supply of voltage V(t)=V0eiωt is applied across an LCR series combination, and the current I(t) is found using the equations I(t)=V(t)/Z and tan of the phase angle between current and applied voltage.
Sleepy_time

Homework Statement

A resistor (R), capacitor (C), and inductor (L) are connected in series. What is the complex impedance, Z,
of this LCR series combination?

An AC supply of voltage V(t)=V0eiωt is applied across an LCR series combination.
Derive an expression for the current I(t) in the circuit. From your expression for I(t)
write down expressions for both the magnitude of the current and the tangent of the
phase angle between current and applied voltage.

Homework Equations

ZL=iωL

ZC=-i/(ωC)

ZR=R

I(t)=V(t)/Z.​

where; ω=Angular frequency of the voltage and i=√(-1).

The Attempt at a Solution

For the total impedance I got:

Z=R+i(ωL-[itex]\frac{1}{ωC}[/itex]),​

and for the current:

I=(V0eiωt)/(R+i(ωL-[itex]\frac{1}{ωC}[/itex])).​

For the tangent of the phase angle it would just be the tangent of the argument of the above equation for the current? If so, I can't get it into a "nice" equation without a trig function of another trig function. Thank you for any help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Sleepy_time! Welcome to PF! :smile:
Sleepy_time said:
For the tangent of the phase angle it would just be the tangent of the argument of the above equation for the current? If so, I can't get it into a "nice" equation without a trig function of another trig function.

tan of the phase angle of a + ib is simply b/a

for (a+ib)/(c+id), use the tan(θ-ψ) formula :wink:

Hi tiny-tim, thanks for the help. So what I got is shown in the attachment. Have I got it right?

Attachments

• LCR phase question.jpg
    LCR phase question.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 427
Hi Sleepy_time! :smile:

erm :redface:
An AC supply of voltage V(t)=V0eiωt

the tangent of the phase angle between current and applied voltage.​

apart from that, fine! :smile:

(remember, impedance, complex current, etc are all constants! :wink:)

I would first like to clarify that the expressions you have derived for the total impedance and current in an LCR series combination are correct.

To find the magnitude of the current, we can use the Pythagorean theorem to find the magnitude of the complex number representing the current:

|I| = √(Re^2 + Im^2)

where Re and Im represent the real and imaginary parts of the current, respectively. Substituting in the expression for the current, we get:

|I| = √(V0^2 / [R^2 + (ωL - 1/ωC)^2])

To find the tangent of the phase angle, we can use the inverse tangent function, arctan, to find the angle whose tangent is equal to the ratio of the imaginary and real parts of the current:

tan(θ) = Im / Re

θ = arctan(Im / Re)

Substituting in the expressions for the current, we get:

θ = arctan((ωL - 1/ωC) / R)

Thus, the tangent of the phase angle between the current and applied voltage can be expressed as:

tan(θ) = (ωL - 1/ωC) / R

I hope this helps. Keep up the good work!

1. What is an LCR circuit?

An LCR circuit is an electrical circuit that consists of inductance (L), capacitance (C), and resistance (R) components. These components are connected in series or parallel and can produce a resonant frequency.

2. What is the purpose of an LCR circuit?

The purpose of an LCR circuit is to control the flow of electric current and voltage in a circuit. It can also be used to filter out specific frequencies and create high-quality resonant circuits.

3. What is the phase angle in an LCR circuit?

The phase angle in an LCR circuit is the difference in phase between the voltage and the current. It is measured in degrees or radians and can be positive or negative.

4. How is the phase angle calculated in an LCR circuit?

The phase angle in an LCR circuit can be calculated using the formula tan⁡(θ) = Xl - Xc / R, where θ is the phase angle, Xl is the inductive reactance, Xc is the capacitive reactance, and R is the resistance.

5. What is the significance of the phase angle in an LCR circuit?

The phase angle in an LCR circuit is significant because it determines the amount of power that is dissipated in the circuit. A phase angle of 0 degrees indicates maximum power transfer, while a phase angle of 90 degrees indicates minimum power transfer.