Building a Radio: LCR Meters and Multimeters

In summary, LCR meters are specialized for impedance measurement and are not general voltmeters/ammeters like DMMs. However, some low cost hand-held DMMs do have LCR-like capabilities. For high accuracy or specialized measurements, a dedicated LCR meter may be needed.
Odysseus
This might be a stupid question, but here goes. I'm trying to build my first radio and I want to know if LCR meters are capable of measuring current and voltage or if I have to purchase a separate multimeter to perform those measurements. Any help would be appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Some DVMs have these functions built in.

I have a B&K handheld meter that I use for LRC, and my Fluke DMM has a capacitance measuring capability. I haven't seen the L measuring function on simple DMMs, but they could exist. You might try a Google Images search on DMM + LCR.

Thanks guys.

Berkeman, you doubt me sometimes? Well, I never... :wink:

Averagesupernova said:
Berkeman, you doubt me sometimes? Well, I never... :wink:

:redface:

Odysseus said:
This might be a stupid question, but here goes. I'm trying to build my first radio and I want to know if LCR meters are capable of measuring current and voltage or if I have to purchase a separate multimeter to perform those measurements. Any help would be appreciated.

LCR meters are typically specialized for impedance measurement (via measuring AC voltage and current). Specially the LCR measuring portion is not a general voltmeter/ammeter like a DMM.

However has others have stated, you can get low cost "LCR-like" capabilities in in relatively low cost hand-held DMMs. The circuitry to do this is usually separate from the DC measurement circuity but it's cheap enough to implement both so all's good. For typical hobby and low-ish accuracy work, they work great.

If you need high accuracy, extreme values (e.g. femto-farads), or phase-related factors like dissipation factor or Q, then often you need a more dedicated LCR meter. Which can get pricey.

1. What is an LCR meter and how does it work?

An LCR meter is a type of electronic test equipment used to measure the inductance (L), capacitance (C), and resistance (R) of a circuit. It works by applying a known AC voltage to the circuit and measuring the resulting current and phase shift.

2. What is the difference between an LCR meter and a multimeter?

An LCR meter is specifically designed to measure inductance, capacitance, and resistance, while a multimeter is a more general tool that can also measure voltage, current, and resistance. LCR meters typically have higher accuracy and a wider range of measurement capabilities than multimeters.

3. How do I choose the right LCR meter or multimeter for building a radio?

When choosing an LCR meter or multimeter for building a radio, it is important to consider the frequency range, measurement accuracy, and features such as auto-ranging and data logging. It is also helpful to read reviews and compare different models to find one that best fits your needs and budget.

4. Can I use an LCR meter or multimeter for testing all components in a radio circuit?

LCR meters and multimeters are useful for testing many components in a radio circuit, such as capacitors, inductors, and resistors. However, they may not be able to test components such as transistors or integrated circuits, which require more specialized equipment.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when using an LCR meter or multimeter?

Yes, it is important to follow safety precautions when using any electronic test equipment. This includes wearing appropriate personal protective equipment, such as gloves and safety glasses, and ensuring the equipment is properly calibrated and grounded. It is also important to read the manufacturer's instructions and avoid touching live circuits while the equipment is connected.