Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

LCR Meters

1. Jul 19, 2011 #1
    This might be a stupid question, but here goes. I'm trying to build my first radio and I want to know if LCR meters are capable of measuring current and voltage or if I have to purchase a separate multimeter to perform those measurements. Any help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 19, 2011 #2

Averagesupernova

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Some DVMs have these functions built in.

4. Jul 19, 2011 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I have a B&K handheld meter that I use for LRC, and my Fluke DMM has a capacitance measuring capability. I haven't seen the L measuring function on simple DMMs, but they could exist. You might try a Google Images search on DMM + LCR.

5. Jul 19, 2011 #4

berkeman

6. Jul 19, 2011 #5
    Thanks guys.

7. Jul 20, 2011 #6

Averagesupernova

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Berkeman, you doubt me sometimes?!?!?!?!? Well, I never... :wink:

8. Jul 21, 2011 #7

berkeman

:redface:

9. Jul 23, 2011 #8
    LCR meters are typically specialized for impedance measurement (via measuring AC voltage and current). Specially the LCR measuring portion is not a general voltmeter/ammeter like a DMM.

However has others have stated, you can get low cost "LCR-like" capabilities in in relatively low cost hand-held DMMs. The circuitry to do this is usually separate from the DC measurement circuity but it's cheap enough to implement both so all's good. For typical hobby and low-ish accuracy work, they work great.

If you need high accuracy, extreme values (e.g. femto-farads), or phase-related factors like dissipation factor or Q, then often you need a more dedicated LCR meter. Which can get pricey.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook