LDRs Preferably cadmium sulphide LDRs

• Thread starter BLUE_CHIP
  • Start date
LDR)In summary, the conversation is about the request for links on LDRs, specifically Cadmium Sulphide LDRs. The person is looking for information on the internal structure, chemical properties, and relationships between light intensity and resistance, as well as light wavelength and resistance. They have been unable to find any information and are seeking help. Another person clarifies that LDR stands for Light Dependant Resistor, which is a photoconductive cell with a specific equation. They suggest searching for "photo diode" instead of LDR for more results. Finally, a link is provided for more information on Cadmium Sulphide LDRs.
BLUE_CHIP
It would be really helpfull if you could give me a few links on LDRs

Preferably cadmium sulphide LDRs.

I'm looking for the internal structure, chemical properties of cdS, and relationships between light intensity and resistance and if possible, light wavelength and resistance.

I've been looking for a while but can't find anything.

thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Whats an LDR?

Sorry, I didn't clarify.

A Cadmium Sulphide Light Dependant Resistor (LDR)

I thought that it was an accepted abbreviation.

I have never heard or seen that acronym, are these photo diodes? Perhaps your difficulty in finding information is because LDR in not a common term. (Just guessing) :wink:

An "LDR" is a photoconductive cell for which the equation:

[tex]lnR=(ln[lux])^{-1}[/tex]

applies, where R = Resistance of cell
lux = intensity of light falling on cell

Try including photo diode in your search string instead of LDR. I had some interesting hits with that.

Here's one link I found: www.electrovalue.co.uk/pdf/o-p.pdf[/URL]

THere are others. I used these search words in Google: Cadmium Sulphide Light Dependant Resistor

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is an LDR?

An LDR, or Light Dependent Resistor, is a type of electronic component that changes its resistance based on the amount of light it receives. It is also known as a cadmium sulphide (CdS) cell because it is made from a semiconductor material called cadmium sulphide.

2. How do LDRs work?

LDRs work by utilizing the photoconductive properties of cadmium sulphide. When light hits the LDR, the cadmium sulphide absorbs photons and releases electrons, causing the resistance of the LDR to decrease. This change in resistance can be measured and used to detect the presence or absence of light.

3. What are the advantages of using cadmium sulphide LDRs?

Cadmium sulphide LDRs are inexpensive, easy to use, and have a wide range of applications. They are also sensitive to a broad spectrum of light, making them suitable for use in various lighting conditions. Additionally, they have a long lifespan and can withstand high temperatures.

4. What are some common uses for LDRs?

LDRs are commonly used in light meters, street lights, solar panels, and camera exposure control. They can also be used in burglar alarms, automatic lighting systems, and in industrial settings to detect the presence or absence of light in a process.

5. What are the limitations of using LDRs?

One limitation of using LDRs is that they are not very precise and can be affected by factors such as temperature and humidity. They also have a slow response time, making them unsuitable for use in high-speed applications. Additionally, LDRs can degrade over time and may need to be replaced after a certain period of use.