1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Le Chatelier

1. Mar 16, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

What factors will change when additional B(g) is added to the following system at equilibrium.
    Overall Reaction: A(g) + B(g) [itex]\Leftrightarrow[/itex](g)
    3. The attempt at a solution

I said decreases, [A] decreases, [C] increases, and equilibrium will shift to the right....but i got it wrong...why and what would it be then?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2012 #2

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If additional B is added, the last thing I would posit is that B would decrease. Everything else you have seems correct.

4. Mar 17, 2012 #3
    then why would A decrease.....

5. Mar 17, 2012 #4

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

When more product is made, it requires A to do so. A decreases. I believe your actual difficulty is one of initial conditions. You've assumed that the initial conditions are at a point after the addition of extra B and before the new mixture comes to equilibrium but the question assumes it is before B is added.
    It appears that you have a good grasp of the concept so relax and don't debate semantics. You'll get nowhere with that.

6. Mar 18, 2012 #5
    Okay! Thank You!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook