Effect of Adding NaOH to a Solution of K2CrO4 at Equilibrium

• Thread starter angel_eyez
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is discussing the effect of adding sodium hydroxide to a solution of K2CrO4 at equilibrium. It is determined that the reaction will proceed to the left, towards the reactants, in order to replace the removed acid and reestablish equilibrium. The conversation also mentions the requirement of a double-headed arrow to indicate an equilibrium condition when applying Le Chatelier's principle.
angel_eyez
Le chatelier's principle..HELP!

1. for the given reaction at equilibrium predict what would happen if NaOH were added to a solution of K2CrO4

2. 2CrO4 (aq) + 2H+(aq) --> Cr2O7(aq) + H2O

3. my answer was that it would not affect the equilibrium since NaOH is a liquid :confused: but I am nott suure :frown:

all help will be greatly appreciatedd :blushing:

Physics news on Phys.org
What happens when sodium hydroxide is added to an acidic solution?

neutralization reaction?..so that means the reaction will proceed in the forward direction?

In your equation, where is the acid? If you neutralize it, what direction will the reaction proceed to reestablish equilibrium.

PS. Your arrow needs to be a double-headed arrow to indicate an equilibrium condition (an absolute requirement for any application of Le Chatelier's principle).

so basically da H+ is the acid..cuz acids donate a proton..so therefore the reactino will proceed in the forward direction to reduce the stress of NaOH...? need to know if I am right =)

btw ye i know it needs to be a double arrow, i just didnt know how to put it

Shift comma, hyphen, hyphen, hyphen, hyphen, shift period.

<---->

You don't have it yet... Think about removing some of the acid. What direction will the reaction proceed to replace it?

ohhh..k..so wen NaOH is added it takes up the proton since its a base..so therefore the reaction will proceed to the left =)

Final answer?

um..yeaaa..:|

1. What is Le Chatelier's Principle?

Le Chatelier's Principle is a chemical principle that predicts how a system at equilibrium will respond to changes in temperature, pressure, or concentration of reactants or products.

2. How does Le Chatelier's Principle work?

Le Chatelier's Principle states that when a system at equilibrium is disturbed, it will shift in a way that minimizes the disturbance and tries to restore equilibrium.

3. What are the factors that can disturb a system at equilibrium?

The factors that can disturb a system at equilibrium are changes in temperature, pressure, or concentration of reactants or products.

4. How can Le Chatelier's Principle be applied in a real-life situation?

Le Chatelier's Principle can be applied in many real-life situations, such as in the production of ammonia, where the equilibrium can be shifted by adjusting the pressure and temperature to favor the production of more ammonia.

5. What happens if a system at equilibrium is not disturbed?

If a system at equilibrium is not disturbed, it will remain in a state of equilibrium and the concentrations of reactants and products will stay constant.