Lead Acid Batteries: Mixing Old/New Cells- Damage?

In summary: Nickel-metal-hydride works well for a while but will eventually self discharge. Nicad and nickel-cadmium are also history dependent and will only work if they are given a full charge and then discharged slowly. Lithium ion cells work fine, but they will lose capacity as they age.
david90
Can mixing (in series) old cells with new cells of the same voltage and rating damage the new cell? If so why? The cells are recharable.

Engineering news on Phys.org
It shouldn't hurt the new cells. They just won't get charged enough which is bad in the long run. But in a discharge the bad cells will easily be reverse charged which should be even more damaging. Generally folks keep all cells in a series string at the same ampere-hour rating and state of charge. That way the end points are reached by the whole string at the same time. That gives the most available ampere-hours with the least unused.
Also old cells tend to self discharge more.

Last edited:
Can OCV test accurately tell the charge level of a cell?

I notice the voltage of my old cells increase slower than my new cells after a load is applied. What does this say about the old cells?

If I have to mix cells, what are some ways to bring them down to the same charge level or get the most life out of them?

david90 said:
Can OCV test accurately tell the charge level of a cell?
The only cell that works good on is lithium-ion. Lead acid is not too bad. Nicad and nickel-metal hydride are history dependent. That means either a charge or discharge perturbes the voltage which slowly returns to the normal curve. Heat can make these cells drop voltage which fools a charger into burning them up.

david90 said:
I notice the voltage of my old cells increase slower than my new cells after a load is applied. What does this say about the old cells?
I find that the voltage only decreases when a load is applied.

david90 said:
If I have to mix cells, what are some ways to bring them down to the same charge level or get the most life out of them?
When lead acid cells get old they fall apart. The best thing to do is keep a separate string and prepare to throw them away.

1. Can I mix old and new cells in a lead acid battery?

Yes, it is possible to mix old and new cells in a lead acid battery. However, it is not recommended as it can potentially damage the battery and affect its performance.

2. What are the risks of mixing old and new cells in a lead acid battery?

Mixing old and new cells in a lead acid battery can lead to imbalances in the battery's charge and discharge cycles. This can result in reduced battery life, decreased capacity, and potential damage to the battery.

3. How can I tell if my lead acid battery has a mix of old and new cells?

You can tell if your lead acid battery has a mix of old and new cells by checking the date codes on the cells. If they are different, then it is likely that the battery has a mix of old and new cells. Additionally, you may notice differences in the battery's performance and charging time.

4. Can I replace only one cell in a lead acid battery?

It is not recommended to replace only one cell in a lead acid battery. This can lead to imbalances and potential damage to the battery. It is best to replace all cells at the same time to ensure proper functioning of the battery.

5. How can I prevent damage to my lead acid battery when replacing cells?

To prevent damage to your lead acid battery when replacing cells, it is important to use cells that are of the same age and type. It is also recommended to fully charge the battery before and after replacing cells to help balance the charge and discharge cycles. Additionally, following proper handling and installation procedures can help prevent damage to the battery.