Lead & Calorimetry: 3 Reasons Why & Possible Errors

In summary: This thread is closed.In summary, the conversation is about a person asking for help with chemistry questions and needing answers quickly. They specifically ask for three reasons why the specific heat of lead is hard to find and three reasons why an error could have occurred in their calorimetry lab. However, the person is reminded that this is not a place to get quick answers to homework problems and is encouraged to show effort before seeking help.
chemistrygirl09
i need help answering some chemistry questions..and i need these answers asap.

1. I need three reasons why the specific heat of lead is so hard to find?

and the second is
2. Three reasons why an error could have occurred in our calorimetry lab?

Thank you
chemistrygirl09:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Wouldn't you think that the second question is a bit unreasonable to ask given that we did not do your calorimetry lab?

problem

i did do the lab but i got a 400 percent error, due to my partner and i doing the lab wrong. and so i need to figure ou thtese questions..but i did do the lab...sorry i should have been more specific.

Well to answer #2..

determine three reasons why an error could have occurred in your calorimetry lab.

I mean we really have no idea what you did and since you were there, you should know what you did wrong.

can anyone answer my question to number one that's all i need right now..cuz i really have to get to studying...please hurry

I don't think PF is an appropriate place to find 'quick answers' to homework problems although a homework section is present. Along with the fact that the help provided here are considered 'suggested solutions', there is no guarantee that they are always correct. If you expect otherwise, there is a high chance you will be disappointed.

To your first question: I don't know of any fundamental reason why it should be. Looking up the tables, the only interesting thing to note is that lead has a very small specific heat ~ 129 J/kgC compared to liquid water which is 4186 J/kgC. Calorimetry is usually done by dipping hot metals into a known volume of water and measuring the temperature change. If the specific heat is small, the change in temperature may be hard to notice.

chemistrygirl09 said:
i need help answering some chemistry questions..and i need these answers asap.
1. I need three reasons why the specific heat of lead is so hard to find?
and the second is
2. Three reasons why an error could have occurred in our calorimetry lab?
Thank you
chemistrygirl09:smile:
This is NOT a place where you can ask others to do your homework for you - you have to show some effort first. Please read the sticky at the top of this forum to see the rules that you agreed to before entering. These are also found in the second line of my signature.

1. What is lead and why is it used in calorimetry?

Lead is a chemical element with the symbol Pb and atomic number 82. It is commonly used in calorimetry because it has a high density and specific heat capacity, making it an ideal material for absorbing and retaining heat energy during a calorimetry experiment.

2. What are the three main reasons for using lead in calorimetry?

The three main reasons for using lead in calorimetry are its high density, specific heat capacity, and low reactivity. These properties allow for accurate measurements of heat energy in a controlled environment, making it a reliable material for calorimetry experiments.

3. What are some possible errors that can occur when using lead in calorimetry?

Some possible errors that can occur when using lead in calorimetry include heat loss to the surroundings, incomplete mixing of substances, and inaccuracies in measuring the temperature. It is important to carefully control and monitor these factors to ensure accurate results.

4. How does lead affect the accuracy of calorimetry measurements?

Lead can greatly improve the accuracy of calorimetry measurements due to its ability to absorb and retain heat energy. This allows for more precise calculations of the heat released or absorbed during a chemical reaction, leading to more accurate results.

5. Are there any alternatives to using lead in calorimetry?

Yes, there are alternative materials that can be used in calorimetry experiments, such as copper or aluminum. However, these materials may not have the same properties as lead and could potentially result in less accurate measurements. It is important to choose the most suitable material for the specific experiment being conducted.