Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lead battery(rechargeable) ?

1. Aug 19, 2011 #1
    lead battery(rechargeable)......?

i was just wondering that the common lead batteries (the ones used in cars) supply us AC or DC? i saw a battery attached to a UPS and it steps up the 12V to 240V. so what i concluded was that it must give us AC. but how does it supply AC? i mean its positive and negative terminals are fixed. also i remember reading somewhere that they supply us DC. please explain.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 19, 2011 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Re: lead battery(rechargeable)......?

All batteries supply DC. To turn it into AC you need an inverter.

4. Aug 19, 2011 #3

ok...how does an inverter work?

5. Aug 19, 2011 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

6. Aug 19, 2011 #5

Great link Borek :rofl:

7. Aug 19, 2011 #6

Batteries produce voltage and current in a fixed direction due to chemcial reactions. So one terminal of a battery is positive and the other negative as electrons and ions from chemical activity move between the terminals.

An inverter takes the fixed polarity battery energy (power) and switches it from positive to negative (a square wave is a simple result) via electrical components while more sophisticated electronic oscillators not only switch from positive to negative but also produce a sinusoidal waveform....like that from commercial power.

More here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_inverter#Circuit_description

It makes no difference that some batteries are rechargable....all that means is that the chemical processes can be reversed by application of external power which restores (most of) the battery chemical composition.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook