Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lead Pursuit Line

1. Dec 6, 2011 #1
    Suppose you are at a point (x0,y0) in space. There is a planet at position (x1,y1) orbiting in a circle a distance r away from the orbit center (x2,y2).

The planet has constant angular velocity as it orbits. You move at a constant speed towards the planet, and want to move in a straight line.

How do you determine how to reach the planet, traveling only in a straight line?

Thanks.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2011 #2

Bobbywhy

Gold Member

GrantB, when you say "You move at a constant velocity from the planet,..." does that mean you are moving AWAY from the planet? Then you want to determine how to reach the planet, so I am confused.

So, I am guessing you may get some insight on the problem by considering this:

"Basic fighter maneuvers (BFM) are tactical movements performed by fighter aircraft during air combat maneuvering (also called ACM, or dogfighting), in order to gain a positional advantage over the opponent."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basic_fighter_maneuvers

This article includes the Lead Persuit attack course, which you mention in the thread title, but do not mention in the post itself.

4. Dec 6, 2011 #3
    Sorry, it was a mistype.

It should say:

The planet has constant angular velocity as it orbits. You move at a constant speed towards the planet, and want to move in a straight line.

So, you want to get to the planet, and you are at an arbitrary point a distance d from the planet, moving only in a straight line.

Thanks, and sorry for the mistype.

5. Dec 6, 2011 #4

Bobbywhy

Gold Member

I think your problem of intercepting a moving planet can be solved by using the methods of missile guidance trajectories. Here is an article you may be able to use. See:

www.jhuapl.edu/techdigest/TD/td2901/Palumbo_Homing.pdf

“Figure 2. Planar engagement geometry. The planar intercept problem is illustrated along with most of the angular and Cartesian quantities necessary to derive modern guidance laws.”

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook