1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Leads me towards cosmology

1. Nov 23, 2009 #1
    So, I'm interested in the big questions.

I guess that leads me towards cosmology - though, quantum or particle physics, or string theory are also tied to the stuff that I want to find out. I'm doing my BS in physics right now and I'm trying to figure out where I want to go for the PhD. I hear nice things about a lot of places - Uni of Chicago is attractive in particular, both for having a strong focus in cosmology and being downtown in a city I like a lot. I don't really know about how hard those things are to get into though. My credentials are pretty strong - I have a 3.8 GPA, with around that same average in my physics classes, I've done some undergrad research, though it didn't amount to much, and I have some cool looking extracurricular stuff (Astronomy club, and some other clubs that are unrelated but that I do very well in). I come from a mediocre university though, University of Cincinnati. We have a strong science department here, but lets face it, it's not Harvard.

I guess my question is, how much does where you come from matter when it comes to getting into great PhD programs like that? Any other advice on getting into them?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2009 #2
    Re: Cosmology

If you can get good recommendations and good undergraduate research, it doesn't matter a huge amount. Assuming that you take advantage of the opportunities that arise, there isn't a huge amount of difference in the physics programs of undergraduate schools.

The other thing is that there are lots of good graduate programs everywhere. Just go through the AIP Guide to Graduate Programs and then look for schools with interesting research.

One other thing, there is a cosmology is more than quantum cosmology.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook