1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Leaky capacitor problem

1. May 2, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

a. A leaky parallel plate capacitor has an area A. Its dielectric has thickness d, dielectric constant k(Kappa), and resistivity p(rho). Find its resistance R and its capacitance C, and its time constant for internal discharge t(tau).
    b. A second leaky capacitor is mostly the same except it has dielectric constant K. Find its capacitance D and resistance Z.

c. Two capacitors of type (a.) and one of type (b.) are connected as shown (see attached picture). Write formulas for their charges and leak currents in terms of node voltages v1 and v2.
    d. write Kirchoff's current law for each numbered node.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I believe i have solutions for parts a and b. I am struggling to figure out part c. The layout of the circuit is that of a pi-network and i have no idea how to follow the circuit from the node to write a formula for the capacitors charges and leak currents in terms of the node voltages.

any help/advice would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2008 #2
    I think you can assume that the wire at the bottom is at 0 V initially.

For the charges you can use Q = CV. The leakage current is I = V/R.

Where V is the potential difference across the resistor or capacitor.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?