1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Learn a language

1. Sep 7, 2010 #1
    Hi,

I am a second year civil engineering student. I have decided I want to learn a language that will help my career progress once I graduate.

Lecturers at my Uni have told me different things. One said German another said Mandarin. I think Mandarin as it is the national language of China.

What do you lot think? I don't have any preference, just something that will put me ahead when it comes to getting a job.

Thanks

Jonathan

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2010 #2
    Hi there,

Since you say, you want to "help" you career once graduated, the you must have a clue about what you want to do. If you want to have a career focused mainly on the Americas, Spanish is probably a good language to have. If you want to interact with Europe, where Germany is the leading economy, German might be a good start. If you believe that the far east is the place to be, the go for Mandarin of Japanese.

Lets say that English is definitely a good language to have, since it is often the commerce language between companies. But, you are right to think that you have a head start if you can deal in French with companies in France, for example.

Anyway, cheers

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook