1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Learn maths from scratch

1. Jun 30, 2014 #1
    hello

I am looking for a step-by-step methodical way to learn maths from scratch up to 1st university year.

I need a whole and complete self study method (eg. CDs, DVDs, websites, books, encyclopedias, etc), that won't require you to refer to other resources

is there anything like this?

I don't want a bunch of articles in mathematics, which may be complete, but they are not in an order to guide your learning from the basics and upwards

I need something like a tutorial, that will start from not taking anything as known and lead you to advanced university-entry mathematics

first of all, I am troubled with all these branches of mathematics, calculus, algebra, geometry, trigonometry, differentiation, derivatives, etc

I don't know how many are of them and I don't know what each of these mean and contain

any help please?

PS: I tried to post this in learning materials, but couldn't

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2014 #2
    Khan Academy is a very good resource. They have videos starting from early math ranging all the way to upper division math.

4. Jun 30, 2014 #3
    Try MathWorld

There are several good math dictionaries online, like MathWorld. Just google math dictionaries, and look up the explanations.
    Calculus is differentiation and integration.
    After calculus you need linear algebra, differential equations, real analysis, abstract(AKA modern algebra), probably complex analysis, some statistics. Electives depend on what you want to do later, but do not worry about that now. Some of these decisions should be put off until you've had more math and must make a decision.
    You never know what may come up. Long out of school, I suddenly discovered "Very Large Numbers" , I mean huge, that exponents cannot deal with, way beyond googleplex. Its a hobby for me.
    But you need a job. Visit a math department at a university, find out who is hiring grads and what they are looking for.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook