1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Learn on my own?

1. Jun 4, 2013 #1
    So i am a kid in middle school and have a serious interest in math/physics and feel kind of unstimulated in school.
    So my question is can i learn everything between trigonometry all the way to some basic calculus math on my own?
    If so which books or websites could i find?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 4, 2013 #2

verty

Homework Helper

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  4. Jun 4, 2013 #3
    Okey, thanks!:)

5. Jun 4, 2013 #4
    Of course you can. You can study almost anything on your own, if you're an intelligent person (which you obviously are) and you have internet. Check out MITOCW and other MOOCs.

6. Jun 4, 2013 #5
    I will!

7. Jun 4, 2013 #6
    Learning on your own is great, but I'd be wary of specializing too early. Go for breadth at this point over depth to really find your passions. If I were you I'd be reading introductory material on all kinds of different engineering and science disciplines as well as reading in the humanities.

8. Jun 4, 2013 #7
    Before I started university, I took it upon myself to learn basic calculus and some rudimentary physics. It's definitely possible. I second verty's recommendation for ... A Problem Solving Approach. One thing I've found with learning things on your own is it's easier to get lost/off track. If you find yourself in that position, check out Kahn Academy, it's an online school of sorts with everything you'll need. That website helped me a lot.

9. Jun 5, 2013 #8

verty

Homework Helper

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook