Learn Math & Physics on Your Own: Tips for Middle Schoolers

• Thread starter phynoldus
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation suggests that it is possible for a middle school student to learn math and physics on their own, and the recommended resources include the books "Algebra and Trigonometry With Analytic Geometry: A Problem-Solving Approach", "College Mathematics for the Managerial, Life, and Social Sciences", and "Elementary Algebra". The conversation also mentions the importance of exploring different disciplines and using online resources such as MITOCW and Khan Academy.
phynoldus
So i am a kid in middle school and have a serious interest in math/physics and feel kind of unstimulated in school.
So my question is can i learn everything between trigonometry all the way to some basic calculus math on my own?
If so which books or websites could i find?

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
Of course you can. You can study almost anything on your own, if you're an intelligent person (which you obviously are) and you have internet. Check out MITOCW and other MOOCs.

FermatPell said:
Of course you can. You can study almost anything on your own, if you're an intelligent person (which you obviously are) and you have internet. Check out MITOCW and other MOOCs.

I will!

Learning on your own is great, but I'd be wary of specializing too early. Go for breadth at this point over depth to really find your passions. If I were you I'd be reading introductory material on all kinds of different engineering and science disciplines as well as reading in the humanities.

Before I started university, I took it upon myself to learn basic calculus and some rudimentary physics. It's definitely possible. I second verty's recommendation for ... A Problem Solving Approach. One thing I've found with learning things on your own is it's easier to get lost/off track. If you find yourself in that position, check out Kahn Academy, it's an online school of sorts with everything you'll need. That website helped me a lot.

Here is a third book to start with, elementary algebra: factoring, simultaneous linear equations, quadratic equations. If you know what factoring is and what "difference of squares" refers to, you can get by without this book. Or learn it at the same time as geometry.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0071611630/?tag=pfamazon01-20.

Best of luck.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are some tips for learning math and physics on my own as a middle schooler?

Some tips for learning math and physics on your own as a middle schooler include setting specific goals, practicing regularly, seeking outside resources such as online tutorials or textbooks, and asking for help when needed.

2. How can I make learning math and physics more fun and engaging?

You can make learning math and physics more fun and engaging by finding real-life applications and examples that relate to your interests, using hands-on activities and experiments, and working with a study group or tutor.

3. Is it possible to learn math and physics on my own without a teacher or formal class?

Yes, it is possible to learn math and physics on your own without a teacher or formal class. Many resources are available online, in books, and through educational programs that can help guide your learning.

4. How can I stay motivated while learning math and physics on my own?

To stay motivated while learning math and physics on your own, it can be helpful to set short-term and long-term goals, track your progress, reward yourself for accomplishments, and remind yourself of the benefits of learning these subjects.

5. Are there any specific study techniques that can help me learn math and physics more effectively?

Some study techniques that can help you learn math and physics more effectively include breaking down complex concepts into smaller, more manageable pieces, using visual aids and diagrams, and practicing problem-solving regularly.