Can You Recommend a Book to Better Understand Abstract Math Concepts?

• Algebra
  • Thread starter Thorium90
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mathematics
In summary, the conversation revolves around the speaker's difficulty in understanding abstract concepts in their engineering course's pure math classes. They are looking for a book that explains these concepts in a more comprehensive manner, with some recommendations being 'A Most Elegant Equation' and books by authors such as Serge Lang and I.M. Gelfand. The ultimate goal is to gain a better understanding of fundamental logic for more complex topics in algebra.
Thorium90
So I recently join an engineering course, in my pure math classes we are currently studying basic algebra, simultaneous equations or quadratics. I quickly found all this very abstract and presented as facts.

Now, I don't know how to phrase this, rather than looking for a book that just states what laws of indices are, and so on. I am looking for a book that would explain these more as maybe a full concepts and its cleverness if you will.

I have heard that some people like a book called 'A most elegant equation' but I don't even know how relevant it would be. What would you recommend?

Physics news on Phys.org
Thorium90 said:
So I recently join an engineering course, in my pure math classes we are currently studying basic algebra, simultaneous equations or quadratics. I quickly found all this very abstract and presented as facts.

Now, I don't know how to phrase this, rather than looking for a book that just states what laws of indices are, and so on. I am looking for a book that would explain these more as maybe a full concepts and its cleverness if you will.

I have heard that some people like a book called 'A most elegant equation' but I don't even know how relevant it would be. What would you recommend?

You didn't mention on what topic should the book be ?

Buffu said:
You didn't mention on what topic should the book be ?

Ow yeah my bad if I wasn't clear, a book looking into the field of algebra with emphasis on fundamental logic so I can get a better understanding once I start moving to the more complex things like Boolean algebra or calculus.

For pre-calculus algebra try Basic Mathematics by Serge Lang, Algebra and Trigonometry by I.M. Gelfand.

1. What is the importance of learning mathematics?

Mathematics is an essential subject that helps us understand the world around us. It provides us with problem-solving skills, critical thinking abilities, and logical reasoning, which are crucial for various fields such as science, technology, engineering, and economics. It also helps in developing important life skills such as decision-making, time management, and organization.

2. How can I improve my math skills?

Improving math skills requires practice and dedication. You can start by understanding the basic concepts and building a strong foundation. Practice regularly, solve problems, and seek help when needed. You can also use online resources, attend math workshops, and participate in math-related activities to enhance your skills.

3. What are some common misconceptions about math?

Some common misconceptions about math include the belief that it's only for "smart" people, that it's all about memorization, and that it's not applicable in real life. However, math is a subject that anyone can learn with practice and dedication. It involves critical thinking and problem-solving, and its applications can be seen in everyday life, from budgeting to cooking.

4. How can I make math more interesting and engaging?

There are various ways to make math more interesting and engaging. You can use real-life examples and hands-on activities to make it more relatable. You can also incorporate technology, such as math-related apps or games, to make it more interactive. Collaborating with peers and participating in math competitions can also make learning math more fun.

5. What are some career options in mathematics?

There are many career options in mathematics, ranging from traditional roles such as mathematician, statistician, and actuary, to more modern roles such as data scientist, financial analyst, and software developer. With a mathematics background, you can also pursue careers in fields such as engineering, computer science, finance, and research.