1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Algebra Learning About Mathematics

1. Dec 22, 2017 #1
    So I recently join an engineering course, in my pure math classes we are currently studying basic algebra, simultaneous equations or quadratics. I quickly found all this very abstract and presented as facts.

Now, I dont know how to phrase this, rather than looking for a book that just states what laws of indices are, and so on. Im looking for a book that would explain these more as maybe a full concepts and its cleverness if you will.

I have heard that some people like a book called 'A most elegant equation' but I dont even know how relevant it would be. What would you recommend?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 22, 2017 #2
    You didn't mention on what topic should the book be ?

4. Dec 22, 2017 #3
    Ow yeah my bad if I wasn't clear, a book looking into the field of algebra with emphasis on fundamental logic so I can get a better understanding once I start moving to the more complex things like Boolean algebra or calculus.

5. Dec 22, 2017 #4
    For pre-calculus algebra try Basic Mathematics by Serge Lang, Algebra and Trigonometry by I.M. Gelfand.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted