How can I learn more about NURBS for my master's thesis in aero engineering?

• Thread starter SCP
  • Start date
In summary, NURBS (Non-Uniform Rational B-Splines) are mathematical representations commonly used in computer graphics and 3D modeling. They offer more control and flexibility than other types of curves, and are widely used in industries such as animation, video game design, industrial design, and architecture. While they may be challenging to learn at first, they can be used for animation and many software programs provide user-friendly tools for manipulation.
SCP
Hey Folks.

I'm trying to learn about NURBS as part of the work for my master's thesis (aero eng). I'm finding the info on the net pretty sparse. Can anyone recommend a good (and affordable) book and/or website(s) to reference?

SCP

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What are NURBS?

NURBS (Non-Uniform Rational B-Splines) are mathematical representations commonly used in computer graphics and 3D modeling. They are made up of a series of control points, curves, and surfaces that can be manipulated to create smooth and precise shapes.

2. How are NURBS different from other types of curves?

NURBS offer more control and flexibility than other types of curves, such as Bézier curves or splines. They allow for curved shapes to be created using fewer control points, resulting in smoother and more efficient geometry.

3. What industries use NURBS?

NURBS are widely used in industries such as animation, video game design, industrial design, and architecture. They are also commonly used in computer-aided design (CAD) software for engineering and product design.

4. Are NURBS difficult to learn?

Learning to work with NURBS can be challenging at first, but with practice and understanding of the underlying mathematical principles, it becomes easier to create complex and precise shapes. Many software programs also offer user-friendly tools for manipulating NURBS curves and surfaces.

5. Can NURBS be used for animation?

Yes, NURBS can be used to create animated objects and characters in computer-generated imagery (CGI). They allow for smooth and realistic movement, making them a popular choice for 3D animation in film and television.