Learn Astronomy for Free: Tips & Ideas

• Thread starter Gale
  • Start date
In summary: There are a few good resources for astronomy out there, although it can be difficult to find them. The best way to find out about the subject is to read as much as you can, watch documentaries, and ask questions on forums. It is also helpful to get out and view the night sky.
Gale
say a person wished to learn about astronomy, but the only resource they have is the internet and a public library. They have nothing for money, or anything like that. So, how should this person go about their learning? recomendations? ideas? ect...

Astronomy news on Phys.org
There are loooooooads of great books you can get from the public library.

You should also find a local astronomy club in your area. They often have presentations and star parties (nerds with telescopes hanging out for an evening in a parking lot somewhere), which are remarkably educational.

There are also some rather decent educational materials on the internet. Here are some of the notes I provide for the astro classes I teach. Hope they help!

http://users.vnet.net/warrenc/astro/introduction.pdf

http://users.vnet.net/warrenc/astro/telescopes.pdf

http://users.vnet.net/warrenc/astro/mythology.pdf

http://users.vnet.net/warrenc/astro/stars.pdf

- Warren

Last edited by a moderator:
well i doubt those parties happen where i live... though perhaps i'll start something if i get interested enough. and i'd bet that'd be the most helpful.. i was rather worried though if books would be enough... as good a reader as i am, and although i can absorb knowledge quickly, i guess i just haven't the discipline to learn something entirely from a book. But yeah, der, i forgot bout you warren... shouldda just asked you. i wish we had a class at school, unfortunately we do not, but if i can find a teacher to back us, we'll soon have a club. any other ideas would be greatly appreciated

Gale17,

Yes, I can totally understand you because I'm in the same situation as yours. I may even worse.

I really interested in Astronomy and Cosmology but there is no supports and resources at my country. There is no good library at all too. More over, even in those poor libraries, no book for the subject of my interest. On the other hand, there is only one or two publishers who publish this kind of books - transalted versions. Totally, there will not more than 10 books about this subject. Yes, not more than 10. The worse thing is they all are out-dated.

So, now I can only depend on Internet. The ISP of our country has only 2 years of age.

For the academic study about this subject, we have only one colledge which was established last year. There is no good teacher and the resources are not enough.

So, I have to read about Astronomy or Cosmology from old English books which are collected by my dad last 25 years ago. Now you can imagine my situation.

So, I just have to look at the sky to study about Astronomy and Cosmology. It is my study book.

That's why I've decided to go to USA to study Astronomy and Cosmology.

Last edited:
Originally posted by chroot
Here are some of the notes I provide for the astro classes I teach. Hope they help!

- Warren
Thanks for your sharing. I would like to get more if possible.

Yeah Warren, I just want to say thanks also. I'm taking a general Astronomy class in college and those notes will be very helpful before exams and what-not. ~Dave

Hi Gale
Read as much as you can about it. Watch for documentaries (NOVA, etc.). Ask tons of questions here at PF.

Most importantly, just get yourself outside at night & enjoy. Don't buy a telescope to start off. Start by learning the constellations (in the sky, not just on paper). You can get an updated sky map cheaply in the monthly magazines like Sky&Telescope or Astronomy (or even downloaded free from the internet). The first optical step should be a good pair of binoculars (not too expensive). That alone should cover you for a year or two of fun.

After that foothold, look for a local astronomy club (I can't recommend one for NH, but this looks promising...http://www.nhastro.com/index.html )

Check out local planetariums & observatories (sometimes they allow the public access to their telescopes).

Last edited by a moderator:
www.skymaps.com has a good monthly star map with lots of observing hints, for free.

- Warren

well thanks all... that's all wicked helpful... and now that I've been fired from one of my jobs [b(] ... well at least i'll have a little more time for a hobby or two...

You might also want to check out Windows to the Universe and Space.Com , a site at which you can sign up for a daily newsletter to arrive in your e-mail every day. I find that getting a few quick, easy-to-read stories every day really helps keep a "cosmologically conscious" frame of mind.

Originally posted by chroot
(nerds with telescopes hanging out for an evening in a parking lot somewhere)

u call me a nerd boi?! nah j/k.

where do you live? there should be an "astronomy" magazine at your local newsagent, its american (whereas I'm aussie) so it doesn't do me anygood (i don't know about you).

it provides a few interesting coloumns about different universe aspects and a detailed (and now extensive) sky plan for the current month.

What is the best way to start learning about astronomy?

The best way to start learning about astronomy is to first familiarize yourself with the basic concepts and terminology. This can be done through online resources, books, or courses. It is also helpful to have a basic understanding of physics and mathematics.

Are there any free resources available for learning astronomy?

Yes, there are many free resources available for learning astronomy. Some examples include online courses, podcasts, YouTube channels, and websites such as NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory and Space.com.

What are some tips for beginners in learning astronomy?

Some tips for beginners in learning astronomy include starting with the basics, observing the night sky regularly, joining an astronomy club or group, and using resources such as star charts to identify celestial objects.

Can I learn astronomy without any formal education or background in science?

Yes, it is possible to learn astronomy without any formal education or background in science. However, having a basic understanding of science and math can make the learning process easier. It is also important to have a strong curiosity and willingness to learn.

How can I apply my knowledge of astronomy in everyday life?

There are many ways to apply your knowledge of astronomy in everyday life. For example, you can use your understanding of celestial movements to navigate using the stars, or use your knowledge of space exploration to stay updated on current events and discoveries. Additionally, understanding astronomy can also help you appreciate the beauty and vastness of the universe.