1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Learning Astrophysics

1. Mar 1, 2009 #1
    Hey All,

I want to start looking into learning Astrophysics. However, before doing that I was wondering if anyone had any feedback on what one should learn first before stepping into Astrophysics. Would learning the basics of physics make it easier to understand Astrophysics?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2009 #2

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

4. Mar 1, 2009 #3

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What is your background in math and physics?

5. Mar 1, 2009 #4
    Here is a link to the program requirements at the school I'm transferring to next year.

http://www.towson.edu/physics/physics/PHYS_ASTRO.asp

So, it all depends on how deeply you want to understand astrophysics. To understand it at the level of an undergrad degree, you see you'd need a lot of physics courses, including several upper division courses such as quantum mechanics.

If you want just a brief overview without having any kind of deep understanding, the basic physics will be useful, but you really should go a bit further in than just the basics.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook