Do I need to learn just C++ or is C worthwhile too?

• C/C++
  • Thread starter SDNess
  • Start date
  • Tags
    C++
In summary, the conversation discusses learning C/C++ after knowing Visual Basic and Java, and whether it is necessary to learn both C and C++. The speaker recommends learning C first and then advancing to C++, and suggests some books and resources for learning the language. They also mention the availability of discounts for software for students. They also share their personal opinion on Java and C++.
SDNess
I know Visual Basic and Java now, but I think it's time I learn C/C++.

Do I need to learn just C++ or is C worthwhile too? [yes, I know they are similiar...]

1) Books/Tutorials?

2) Is there a discount [student...] for acquiring the software with?

If you're familiar with both Java and C++, how similar are they to each other?

Technology news on Phys.org
ebay...

By the way, I once heard Jeff would like to solve some of his books, you can go to ebay and search for him.

For C the best book IMO is
C A Modern Approach by KN King followed by
Pointers On C (forgot the authors name).
Neither book teaches GUI programming but figuring out pointers is tough enough. Learn C then advance to the GUI.

As far as software goes, Dev-C++ is free and decent windows IDE. It's good enough to learn on. I think you can get a free basic compiler for Windows from MS now (I use a Mac so I'm not positive) and if you register as a student at Borland you can get the Borland compiler for free also. Intel Also has a free windows compiler. VC++ is what, $100 standard (comes with a fat text) and $69 student? Something like that.

My opinion is learn C advance to C++. I know others will disagree, but to heck with them. Many large scale projects are written in C. C is easy to learn because it is structured like a standard thought process (most people don't think in terms of 'objects'). Once you get competent with C then advance to C++. As another note, I dislike Jave. I can program in it, but I don't like to. Just a preference (I learned C on an Amiga 500 after all). Java and C++ share some syntax (as do most languages) and the object structure is the same. They are differnt though. If you know how to program in one language then others usually come easily. many of the pitfalls associated with C/C++ are not present in Java, so C/C++ requires a little more understanding as to what is actually going on as far as memory allocation, and usage are concerned. My 2 cents.

Good luck.

Pointers On C (Kenneth A. Reek).

As far as the United States is concerned, you can save a load of money on software if you are currently a student (undergraduate or graduate) at any accredited university. Check out JourneyEd and the Academic Superstore for more information on eligible schools as well as prices.

If you live in any country other than the United States, I'm sorry I cannot help you. I really don't know how the academic discounts work involving international colleges or other countries; however, I believe Microsoft offers the same academic prices to Canada as they do the United States.

Last edited:

1. Do I need to learn both C++ and C?

It depends on your specific goals and projects. C++ is a more modern and versatile language, while C is a more specialized and low-level language. If you want to work in industries such as game development or embedded systems, learning both may be beneficial. However, if you are primarily interested in software development, learning C++ should suffice.

2. Is C easier to learn than C++?

This is subjective and may vary from person to person. Some may find C easier to learn because it has a simpler syntax and fewer features compared to C++. However, others may find C++ easier because it has more advanced tools and libraries that can simplify coding. Ultimately, it depends on your learning style and goals.

3. Can I use C++ and C interchangeably?

While both C++ and C have some similarities, they are two distinct languages with different syntax and features. It is not recommended to use them interchangeably as it can lead to errors and compatibility issues. However, you can use C libraries in C++ code by adding a few modifications.

4. Which language is better for performance: C++ or C?

C is known for its high performance, as it is a low-level language that allows for direct hardware access. However, with advancements in compilers and development tools, C++ can also achieve similar performance when optimized properly. In general, the performance difference between the two languages is minimal and should not be a deciding factor in choosing one over the other.

5. Do I need to learn C before learning C++?

No, it is not necessary to learn C before learning C++. While C++ is based on C and shares many similarities, it also has its own unique features and syntax. If you are interested in learning C++, you can start with it directly without prior knowledge of C. However, having a basic understanding of C may make it easier to grasp some concepts in C++.