1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Learning c++ programming through physics?

1. May 31, 2013 #1
    I was wondering some things I could try to increase my skill in programming using physics problems. I'm not interested in a physics engine or anything super advanced like that, just some fun programming projects (ie the physics makes it fun, for me).

I would say I'm still a beginner in C++ programming. I've built robots and other sensor type projects with Arduino and LEGO mindstorms (using Bricx IDE). Both of those use code similar to C++. The most advanced program I've ever written was just a thing that converted altitude and azimuth into galactic coordinates (using trig, not proper rotation matrices). My programming class for my physics degree 10 years ago was C++.

Before I always needed an electronics connection to keep my interest in code, but recently I've been using Mathematica as I work through physics books for self-study and find it highly enjoyable. I'm not sure if computational physics is something I would be interested in or not, or how fun doing computational physics with c++ could be. I don't really know the possibilities for my level, can someone fill me in?

I suppose the goal would be to crack a random undergraduate physics text, pick a random problem, and write a c++ program that allows me to play with the situation.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted