Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Learning C++

1. Jun 17, 2005 #1
    I have started my course of C++ basics for a few weeks, some of my friends introduce Deitel's books, can you help give some comments on his series so I can assume myself that his are good enough not to waste my money on.
    It looks like a dictionary to me, and well, I don't have much money, someone nice out there can scan his series and share with me via p2p for example ?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2005 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Dietel's books are par for the course. They're not -exceptional-, but they're very good.

And no -- we do not condone piracy here, so please do not ask such a thing again.

- Warren
  4. Jun 17, 2005 #3
    I feel really sad now, I would like to wake people here up to see this and tell them how I feel about what i am getting stuck at, I don't really like that Deitel's series anyway, but ok, I will follow whatever you advise not to ask something about sharing files.
    Thank you
  5. Jun 17, 2005 #4
    ...well you don't have to get deitels book...though it is ok...not the best out there...if your gonna invest money in some books...invest in data algorithms...

like mmm the data algorithsm part 1-4 and part 5...i hope sedgewick is the author ...my mind is a lapse. There are plenty fo tutorials online to learn C++ by itself...but data structures is any important text to have by your side IMO...which ever text you get...
    a "design patterns" book may alos be good when you get to that advance stage of C++

You can bascially get a good C /C++ at a used store thats like 3-10 yrs old.
  6. Jun 17, 2005 #5
    Thank you , I doubt it from the start that deitel books are not that good to buy, thank you for your input,

I actually don't know anything about algorithms either, I would take your advice more seriously about that,

I also highly advise people especially students to do as what you suggested.
  7. Jun 18, 2005 #6
    u can check out Bruce Eckel's book Thinking in C++, that is availbale free of cost on net and is a quite good book, also check out the link http://files.nixp.ru/books/programming/
    here u will find Stroustrup's Book on C++, creator of C++,
  8. Jun 18, 2005 #7
    yeah Bruce Eckel's book is excellent...
    But i do like the book by Robert Lafore that was the first one i studied...
    For algorithms i think Cormen,Liencestor's one is nice
  9. Jun 18, 2005 #8
    do you still have Lafore with you
  10. Jun 19, 2005 #9
    oh also as far as compilers go, you pretty much get what you pay for, but id suggest anything up to date, is sufficient
  11. Jun 20, 2005 #10
    Do you have a part-time job at the very least? You're better off getting the book itself. Getting it online and printing out every page is very, very time consuming and a waste of paper, money and trees as well.

As far as the book, I recommend getting Stroustrup C++ book.
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?