Learning C++ with Deitel: Reviews and Resources

In summary: It's excellent. As for compilers, you pretty much get what you pay for, but I suggest anything up to date, as that should be sufficient.
Persefone
I have started my course of C++ basics for a few weeks, some of my friends introduce Deitel's books, can you help give some comments on his series so I can assume myself that his are good enough not to waste my money on.
It looks like a dictionary to me, and well, I don't have much money, someone nice out there can scan his series and share with me via p2p for example ?

Technology news on Phys.org
Dietel's books are par for the course. They're not -exceptional-, but they're very good.

And no -- we do not condone piracy here, so please do not ask such a thing again.

- Warren

I feel really sad now, I would like to wake people here up to see this and tell them how I feel about what i am getting stuck at, I don't really like that Deitel's series anyway, but ok, I will follow whatever you advise not to ask something about sharing files.
Thank you

...well you don't have to get deitels book...though it is ok...not the best out there...if your going to invest money in some books...invest in data algorithms...

like mmm the data algorithsm part 1-4 and part 5...i hope sedgewick is the author ...my mind is a lapse. There are plenty fo tutorials online to learn C++ by itself...but data structures is any important text to have by your side IMO...which ever text you get...
a "design patterns" book may alos be good when you get to that advance stage of C++

You can bascially get a good C /C++ at a used store that's like 3-10 yrs old.

neurocomp2003 said:
...well you don't have to get deitels book...though it is ok...not the best out there...if your going to invest money in some books...invest in data algorithms...

like mmm the data algorithsm part 1-4 and part 5...i hope sedgewick is the author ...my mind is a lapse. There are plenty fo tutorials online to learn C++ by itself...but data structures is any important text to have by your side IMO...which ever text you get...
a "design patterns" book may alos be good when you get to that advance stage of C++

You can bascially get a good C /C++ at a used store that's like 3-10 yrs old.
Thank you , I doubt it from the start that deitel books are not that good to buy, thank you for your input,

I actually don't know anything about algorithms either, I would take your advice more seriously about that,

I also highly advise people especially students to do as what you suggested.

u can check out Bruce Eckel's book Thinking in C++, that is availbale free of cost on net and is a quite good book, also check out the link http://files.nixp.ru/books/programming/
here u will find Stroustrup's Book on C++, creator of C++,

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah Bruce Eckel's book is excellent...
But i do like the book by Robert Lafore that was the first one i studied...
For algorithms i think Cormen,Liencestor's one is nice

do you still have Lafore with you

oh also as far as compilers go, you pretty much get what you pay for, but id suggest anything up to date, is sufficient

Persefone said:
It looks like a dictionary to me, and well, I don't have much money, someone nice out there can scan his series and share with me via p2p for example ?

Do you have a part-time job at the very least? You're better off getting the book itself. Getting it online and printing out every page is very, very time consuming and a waste of paper, money and trees as well.

As far as the book, I recommend getting Stroustrup C++ book.

Last edited:

1. What is the difficulty level of "Learning C++ with Deitel"?

The difficulty level of "Learning C++ with Deitel" is considered to be intermediate. It assumes that the reader has some prior knowledge of programming concepts and languages, but does not require extensive knowledge of C++ specifically.

2. How does "Learning C++ with Deitel" compare to other C++ learning resources?

"Learning C++ with Deitel" is widely praised for its comprehensive and thorough approach to teaching the language. It covers a wide range of topics in depth and provides numerous real-world examples and exercises, making it a highly recommended resource for learning C++.

3. Is the book suitable for self-study or is it better for use in a classroom setting?

The book can be used for both self-study and in a classroom setting. It is designed to be a self-contained learning resource, but it also includes numerous exercises and projects that can be used in a classroom setting.

4. Does "Learning C++ with Deitel" cover the latest version of C++?

Yes, "Learning C++ with Deitel" covers the latest version of C++, including C++11, C++14, and C++17. It also includes discussions on modern C++ programming practices and techniques.

5. Is there a companion website or additional resources available for "Learning C++ with Deitel"?

Yes, there is a companion website for "Learning C++ with Deitel" that includes additional resources such as code examples, video tutorials, and interactive exercises. The website is regularly updated to reflect the changes in the language and to provide additional support for readers.