Learning calculus with a digital copy of a textbook

In summary, the individual is a 12th-grade student who has recently become more interested in learning and wants to expand their knowledge beyond high school level in math and physics. They are currently taking a calculus course on MIT OCW and are considering supplementing their learning with a book. They have been recommended the Keisler book on calculus but have concerns about reading from a digital copy. They are seeking tips on how to make it feel more natural and are considering printing the book instead. They are also unsure about learning outside of a traditional school setting. Someone suggested looking into the cost of printing the book, as they prefer physical copies but also find digital copies convenient for carrying around.
martinbranson
Hi, I'm in 12 grade, and I always was a decent student but recently I became more fascinated by learning and I want to learn some math and physics beyond high school level.
One or two weeks ago I started the calculus course on mit ocw (18.01sc) (at session 17 right now, right before lecture 7), I watch everything, take notes and solve problems but I feel like it would be nicer to learn from a book instead (or in addition to) the 18.01sc.
I found in a post here a recommendation to read Keisler book on calculus but have doubts with learning from the digital copy, does someone here had experienced with reading a math textbook from your pc monitor?
can you give me some tips to make it feel more native? maybe, I should buy or print it instead.
I need some guidance, I don't have any experience of learning outside of school.
Thanks for reading.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would look into how much it costs to print - as a student, sometimes our professors would give us PDFs of textbooks and it would usually cost $20-30 to print and bind them.

Likes martinbranson
Theres nothing better than a physical copy of a book to me. But it can be cumbersome hauling multiple texts around campus so for this reason I keep physical texts are home usually and have digital copies on my computer when leaving the house. You get used to them. Its also nice to be able to cntrl+f

Likes martinbranson

1. What are the benefits of learning calculus with a digital copy of a textbook?

The main benefit of using a digital copy of a textbook for learning calculus is the convenience and accessibility it offers. You can access the textbook anytime and anywhere as long as you have a device and internet connection. It also allows for interactive learning through features such as videos, animations, and practice problems.

2. Is learning calculus with a digital copy of a textbook as effective as using a physical textbook?

Studies have shown that learning with digital textbooks can be just as effective as using physical textbooks. It ultimately depends on the individual's learning style and preferences. Some people may find it easier to understand concepts through interactive digital features, while others may prefer the traditional pen and paper method.

3. Are there any disadvantages to using a digital copy of a calculus textbook?

One potential disadvantage is the need for a device and internet connection. If these are not readily available, it may hinder the learning process. Additionally, some people may find it difficult to focus or retain information when reading from a screen for extended periods of time.

4. Can I take notes and highlight on a digital copy of a calculus textbook?

Yes, most digital textbooks have features that allow you to take notes, highlight, and bookmark important information. This can be especially helpful for studying and reviewing later on.

5. Are there any additional resources available with a digital copy of a calculus textbook?

Yes, many digital textbooks come with additional resources such as practice problems, quizzes, and study guides. Some even have interactive tools and simulations to further enhance the learning experience.