1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Learning calculus

1. Sep 22, 2011 #1
    Hello all,

Lets say I want to start all over again learning calculus from beginning till the level I can start on MIT. What books should I buy to get to know all the knowledge to start on MIT?

I hope someone can give me tips on this.

Arjen

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2011 #2

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

How are you at intermediate algebra and how is your basic trigonometry knowledge?

4. Sep 22, 2011 #3
    lets just say its all very beginners level

5. Sep 22, 2011 #4

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

In that case, start over at Elementary Algebra and work upwards. You can do most or all of this on your own. Don't be skimpy in the relearning process. Try hard to understand. Do in this order or nearly this order: Elementary Algebra, Intermediate Algebra, Trigonometry, then either "Precalculus" or "College Algebra". Now you would be ready for single variable Calculus (Calculus 1).

Know that some people like to skip the College Algebra, or even skip the "Precalculus". About how good doing is for advice, unclear.

6. Sep 22, 2011 #5
    yes, this is what i knew already, but I want a book recommandation. You know what books are good for this learning, so pls tell me what books you recommend.

7. Sep 22, 2011 #6

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Some good authors of Algebra 1 and Algebra 2 to look for are: Lial' Lial & Miller; Wright & New; Aufmann & Barker; Drooyan; Perez & Weltman, ..., others I can't remember. Old books, like 30 years old, are very often just as good as newer ones.

For Precalculus, Trignometry, and College Algebra, you can add to the list above, Larson & Hostetler; or Larson, Hostetler & Edwards.

You might find great books by other authors, also.

8. Sep 22, 2011 #7
    Khan Academy!

9. Sep 22, 2011 #8
    x2

You can Khan Academy your way up from zero math knowledge to pre-calculus in a short period of time. It's good for Calculus I too, but you should also use some other sources there, like a text book. Same thing with trigonometry, you might want to get a book or use another source.

An important thing is practice. You have to find problems and practice them. If you can find a syllabus that has homework problems from a good book you should be golden. Just google search for Classname + .edu

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook