Learning Discrete Mathematics

• Thread starter tntcoder
  • Start date
Hi,

Im after some advice on what materials to use in order to gain a fairly 'decent' understanding of the following topics:

Elementary Set Theory, Subsets, Unions, Intersections, Complements. Logic, Functions, Mappings, Injectivity. Subjectivity. Bijectivity, Permutations, Proof techniques (contradiction, induction).

I covered the basics of these topics about 3 years ago, and have done virtually no maths studying since then, so i only have vague memories :(

Can anyone reccomend a decent book that covers these topics, and contains solid self practice exercises.

This is knowledge which im supposed to have as a prerequisite for a masters degree, so i really just want to brush up on it to a point where i know what im talking about to pass an interview and not struggle with the more advanced use of the mathematics which might come up in the degree (computing).

Many thanks,

Jack

QuantumQuest

Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
A very decent book is Discrete Mathematics and Its Applications by Kenneth H. Rosen. Although it is a formal textbook for one or two term introductory Discrete Mathematics courses taken by students from a wide variety of majors, including Computer Science, Mathematics, and Engineering, it is accessible, flexible and precise enough with lots of examples and a number of intermediate and difficult exercises.