1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Medical Learning dissability

1. Mar 29, 2007 #1
    How would someone classify people with a learning dissability? What are the norms some people would have separating them selves with other who have a learning dissibility. My dissibility is interacting with others. Is that even considered as a learning dissibility? I have a fear that is linked to my learning dissibility that i do not want to share.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2007 #2
    There are so many different types of learning disabilities, so there is no straightforward answer to your question: how would someone classify people with learning disabilities? Someone with Asperger's syndrome would typically have problems interacting with others. Social Anxiety or any anxiety disorder could be considered a "learning disorder" if it prevents someone from carrying out normal activities every day.

4. Mar 29, 2007 #3
    I do have asperger's syndrome... thanks i needed to know what i have

5. Mar 29, 2007 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

You cannot assume you have asperger's based on one symptom which many people without anything wrong wit them experience. Many disorders also share multiple traits.

6. Mar 29, 2007 #5
    My experience with asperger's syndrome is it can range from very subtle to very disabling. Some of my patients (I'm a psychiatrist) are from the school of mines here in Colorado. I have two aspergers patients who are immensely blessed with abilities in the physical sciences, but can't function at a college kegger or similarly benign social situations. Meds can be helpful at times.

If indeed you have the disorder-- Evo is right, lots of syndromes have overlapping symptoms--there is a beautiful person up at Colo State U who has been the source of strength and hope for many sufferers. SEE:
    http://www.aspergerfriends.com/RightJobforAsperger.html.

But by all means try to get this diagnosis confirmed. Its one thing to be anxious in social settings but quite another to miss social cues entirely that make up a huge amt of non-verbal communication most take for granted.

7. Apr 1, 2007 #6

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Me too! And I have been diagnosed as having borderline ADHD (I have apparently compensated). One of my biggest difficulties was reading or rather concentration on what I was reading, which affect reading comprehension. I could read scientific and technical literature with excellent recall/memorization, but reading poetry and nontechical literature was excruciating - especially in a quiet room. Hence my performance of reading comprehension and verbal (literature) tests was average.

And my kids have Asperger's more significantly than I do. It is a combination of learning disability/delay and developmental delay. The latter applies to things like social aptitude/skills.

Asperger's syndrome, like autism, is a spectrum of symptoms and magnitude.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?