Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Learning Dothraki and Valyrian

1. Apr 27, 2017 #1
    Dothraki and Valyrian are two languages in Game of Thrones. Amazingly there are resources to actually learn these made up fantasy langauges. There is even a course on Dothraki at UC Berkeley next year. I question who would find this worth their time. I remember a story several years ago where a father taught his son Klingon (Star Trek). I'm trying to figure out the upside in both developing these fantasy languages and also learning them.

https://www.dothraki.org/

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2017 #2
    A close friend (who, incidentally, is currently doing cosmology research) once taught himself one of the Elvish languages from Tolkien's Lord of the Rings. I think the upside for him was the challenge of learning a language with no how-to guides whatsoever; he had to figure everything out (more or less) on his own. Granted, I don't believe the language was truly complete. Regardless, Tolkien's fictional languages are brilliant.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted