Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Learning Everything .

1. Aug 21, 2004 #1
    Learning Everything.....

When we learn everything, do we still need a God?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2004 #2
    Yes, so we can be told when there's nothing left to learn.

4. Aug 22, 2004 #3
    You would still have to learn what God's thinking.

If you can do that then you still have to learn what it's like to be God.

Then you have to learn everything that will happen in the future for the entire universe.

If you can do all that then you are God.

Then you still need a god (yourself) in order to exist.

5. Aug 23, 2004 #4
    It seems we have a lot to learn.

6. Aug 23, 2004 #5
    Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators the creator seeks--those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest.

Friedrich Nietzsche
    "Thus Spoke Zarathustra"

Just thought it'd be appropriate :)

7. Aug 23, 2004 #6
    since not all people, perhaps none, would have the knowledge of everything, many would probably still "need" god...
    question is more whether or not we "need" him today...

8. Aug 23, 2004 #7
    Learning everything is impossible

take simple physics for example you can't know the the speed and location of something at the same time.

9. Aug 23, 2004 #8
    ??

I can tell you the exact speed and location of my car right now....

10. Aug 28, 2004 #9
    Sure. Why not?

Pete

11. Aug 28, 2004 #10
    this is analagous to asking if we learn eveything from our dads/moms, do we still need them. i think yes. they are our link to the past; where we came from. we cannot move forward if there is no past or a strong backround at that. if we learned eveything and if we didn't need God because of the fact, we would return to our starting position of ignorance beacuse if there is no God, then there is nothing.

12. Aug 30, 2004 #11
    If we know everything about how God runs the universe, stellar formation, gravity, everything, we still need him to actually DO the stuff. If you know every single detail about your car and how it works, including all of its systems, and you want to drive it, you still need the car to do the work. Brainwaves or knowledge can't really DO anything, they must be applied.

13. Aug 30, 2004 #12
    I don't know, why do you think we need God?

14. Sep 9, 2004 #13
    i think that if this was indeed possible and eventually it happened then we would in effect collectively be God-like. For if we knew everything, we could hypothetically do everything God is able to do in time. Then would we still need him/her/whatever? who knows? how would you even ever know that we truly now know everything?

15. Sep 10, 2004 #14
    Knowing everything is not the same as making sense out of everything. For that you require acceptance. Whether acceptance requires a God or not just depends upon your beliefs.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?