Learning Gambit/Fluent CFD

• Thread starter anthro
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cfd
In summary: This is not a question.In summary, Gambit is a mesh generator, and Fluent a flow solver. You first use Gambit to make a discretization of flow domain, and then Fluent to solve the flow in it.
anthro
Hi, can anyone recommend me any site/books that could help me to learn the Gambit/Fluent software. Btw, what is the difference between these 2 softwares??
I am a beginner, totally alien to these softwares and I have about a month to learn it.
Thanks alot.

Engineering news on Phys.org
anthro said:
Hi, can anyone recommend me any site/books that could help me to learn the Gambit/Fluent software. Btw, what is the difference between these 2
softwares??
Gambit is a mesh generator, and Fluent a flow solver. You first use Gambit to make a discretization of flow domain, and then Fluent to solve the flow in it.

Never used these personally, but a colleague of mine once pointed me to this link as nice set of beginner's tutorials:

http://instruct1.cit.cornell.edu/courses/fluent/ [Broken]

anthro said:
I am a beginner, totally alien to these softwares and I have about a month to learn it.
A month is not a good time. There is a strong junk-in-junk-out tendency with CFD software: if you have no experience, you don't know whether what you are giving it makes any sense, and you don't know whether the results it gives you back make any sense.

It is good if there is someone experienced around to check your inputs and outputs while you are working out the problems, for months probably.

--
Chusslove Illich (Часлав Илић)

Last edited by a moderator:
Doubtless the best sources are the in built tutorials of Fluent and Gambit that come with the cd's. They have a collection of great exercises using all the important features.

thanks a lot. Really appreciate your help!

How can I get the vertices of the NACA0015 profile for designing it in Gambit? Can u tell me the detailed way of doing so??

is it possible do the flow problem using ansys instead of fluent...

hi..u can use many other softwares...u cn use ANSYS CFX...
not sure about this but MATLAB can also be used i guess

Hello,
Is there any CFD for Catia V5 R18??

doubt

is it possible to use proe to send design to fluent if so how

Dear

I'd like to know how to do energy imbalance test in fluent

Thanks

Try google.

hello, am israa working in my final project using cfd fluent ;
but am having trouble in exporting the mesh from gambit to fluent 6 because as the error written in gambit " face (no) has ahigher order element & cannot be exported to fluent5"

if anyone knows how can solve this problem please reply....

israa said:
hello, am israa working in my final project using cfd fluent ;
but am having trouble in exporting the mesh from gambit to fluent 6 because as the error written in gambit " face (no) has ahigher order element & cannot be exported to fluent5"

if anyone knows how can solve this problem please reply....

I think (but I'm not sure) that you export 2d for 3d elements. That's my first guess

ananddkrish said:
is it possible to use proe to send design to fluent if so how
If you draw your geometry in PRO-E you need to import it into GAMBIT great your mesh and then you can use it in PRO-E.

In order to do that you need to:
1. Draw your geometry
2. Save it in your working directory
3. Then File -> Save a copy -> select the drop down menu and select .igs extension and save it.
4. Open GAMBIT then File -> Import -> select the required document.

hi..
to all freinds
i want to know about PRO/ENGINEERS ,i want to draw geometry of ESP in pro/E,
is it possible to draw in pro/e,i am doing project on ESP performance,
please help me

thankss

hi,
i am doing a simulation of 3D problem.i want to draw it cylindrical coordinate sysyem(r,z, o).but gambit shows X , Y , Z Coordinate . how to do in cylindrical co ordinate , will it show r, z and o axis ?
i opened the Tools command button then i changed the co ordinated system to cylindrical and I acctivé it . but it still at cartesien coordinate

please reply

hi,
i am doing a simulation of 3D problem.i want to draw it cylindrical coordinate sysyem(r,z, o).but gambit shows X , Y , Z Coordinate . how to do in cylindrical co ordinate , will it show r, z and o axis ?
i opened the Tools command button then i changed the co ordinated system to cylindrical and I acctivé it . but it still at cartesien coordinate

please reply

Hi,
I want to generate a mesh file by myself in a format the same as GAMBIT out put file, to use in Fluent. I face to this problem that I don't know how Gambit count the Elements, I mean how Gambit count an Element as Element no. 1 or 2 or 50. I generate meshes but I don't know which Element is number 1 or 2 or...
and if there is a manual that explain different lines of Gambit output file that shows the points coordination and Points of an elements.
I would be thankful for your nice help

Gambit software is use for CFD flow analysis.It is application software software use for CFD.But i do not know so much about fluent software.Can anyone provide more information about this.How is these software related to CFD trading?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,
I am a beginner and still learning to use gambit and fluent for my project. I am trying to model dispersion of gas from a pipeline. So I created a horizontal cylinder with a vertical cylinder on top of it to represent a hole. Then I subtract that vertical cylinder from the 1st cylinder. Then I try to do the meshing. I thought that it could work just like that. But it seems like I miss some steps but I don't know what is it. Please help me. Your kind help is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Hi

Just one suggestion from my side. Before you start exploring Fluent and Gambit try to clear your basics with Text books of CFD. One of the god book which I noramlly use it "Computational Fluid Dynamics" By John D Anderson JR. This book really helps you at every stage while you are working on Fluent.

hi,

thank you vikram.karwal. I've found the book.

Please, Can anybody tell me how can I draw A 3D wind turbine blade on gambit?

hi,
i am doing project on pre-mixed combustion chambers and i need help to find some useful literature survey on 'multiple co-axial nozzles'.
if possible any were do i get more elaborate explanation of non-circular exit nozzle analysis...

I want to know if it is possible to simulate a two-dimensional infinite cavity type rayleigh-benard in gambit

1. What is Gambit/Fluent CFD?

Gambit/Fluent CFD is a software package used for computational fluid dynamics (CFD) simulations. It is commonly used in the field of fluid mechanics and allows scientists and engineers to study and analyze the behavior of fluids in various systems.

2. How does Gambit/Fluent CFD work?

Gambit/Fluent CFD works by using mathematical models and algorithms to solve complex equations that describe the behavior of fluids. It uses a meshing tool to create a 3D grid of the system being studied and then uses the finite volume method to solve the equations at each point in the grid. This allows for the simulation of fluid flow, heat transfer, and chemical reactions.

3. What are the benefits of using Gambit/Fluent CFD?

There are several benefits to using Gambit/Fluent CFD, including its versatility, accuracy, and efficiency. It can be used to simulate a wide range of fluid dynamics problems, from simple flows to complex turbulent flows. It also provides accurate results that can be used to make informed design and engineering decisions. Additionally, Gambit/Fluent CFD is known for its efficient algorithms, which allow for faster simulation times compared to other CFD software.

4. What types of problems can Gambit/Fluent CFD solve?

Gambit/Fluent CFD can solve a variety of problems related to fluid mechanics, including laminar and turbulent flows, heat transfer, and multiphase flows. It can also be used to study the behavior of fluids in different types of systems, such as pipes, pumps, and turbines. Additionally, Gambit/Fluent CFD can simulate chemical reactions and their impact on fluid flow.

5. What are some examples of industries that use Gambit/Fluent CFD?

Gambit/Fluent CFD is used in many industries, including aerospace, automotive, energy, and manufacturing. It is commonly used in the design and optimization of aircraft and car components, as well as in the development of efficient and sustainable energy systems. It is also used in the production of consumer goods, such as household appliances and medical devices.