1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Learning Java

1. Apr 7, 2004 #1

turin

Homework Helper

What's the best way to learn Java. I'm trying to improve my marketability. I don't know any high level programming languages. Well, I had to take BASIC in 8th grade, back when eveyone still used Apple. I also took something called, I think, Q-BASIC? at college. I tried learning C++ or something like that, maybe Visual C++, using one of those learn-it-yourself books when I was working as an engineer, but I just couldn't do it. My main problem I think is the termonology/syntax. I just can't seem to make sense of it in the language center of my brain. I understand algorithms and flow charts, but I just don't get having to type:

main()

or java.lib.something_else

or whatever.

Then there's the compiler issue. I never quite understood that. Why bother writing the code if it isn't useful until it is compiled? Why can't you just write something *.exe to tell the computer directly what to do?

As you can see, I'm software/programming stupid. Does anyone have any suggestions?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2004 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, the "Java in a Nutshell" book by O'Reilly is quite good, but it does assume the reader has some basic programming experience.

We can definitely help you with the details. Perhaps I should start a "Java Classroom" thread, and begin by breaking down some simple programs so they're easy to understand? What do you think?

- Warren

4. Apr 7, 2004 #3

turin

Homework Helper

Hell ya! I tried using some internet tutorials, but they were all written in poor English (or perhaps very heavy jargon).

Will I need to get any software/hardware for my computer in order to run the programs? Could I attach them as text files to my posts and let you compile them for me and then attach the compiled result to your posts? How much support can I get from you (y'all)?

5. Apr 7, 2004 #4

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It would be easier for you to compile and run them yourself! :smile: Hold on, I'm making a new thread.

- Warren

6. Apr 7, 2004 #5

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?